108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore 20/700 Mailslot Inventory

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Bishop
Occasional Advisor

Surestore 20/700 Mailslot Inventory

I am using an HP Surestore E 20/700 Tape Library with Omniback 3.x. I have a script to identify the tapes and slot numbers from the previous night's backup sessions using the omnirpt and omnimm commands. Omnimm -repository shows me all of the tapes and slots in my library, but I would also like to know what has been moved to my CAP, or mailslots. This information is not reported using my omnimm command. Is there a command or switch to do an inventory of my mailslots?
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Chris,

I have the same model and I use a
script to eject the tapes from the
slots to the mailslots. You can
easily identify the tapes in the
mailslot by using the 'mc' command.
'mc' reports slots as follows.
MT --> Tape in the robot
IE --> Mailslot
DT --> Tape Drive
ST --> Storage Slot

If I run 'mc -r IDSM -p /dev/robot'
I get the output and each tape that
has a barcode is displayed.
If I run the same command like this
I only get the tapes in the mailsot.
'mc -r I -p /dev/robot'

There is also a 'man' page on the 'mc'
command.

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Take a look at the mc command.

mc -p -r "I|S|M|D"

example;

Gives the contents of the cap
mc -p /dev/rac/c0t0d0 -r I

You can combine them as well, " -r ISMD " will give you all the locations in your library.

Have a look at the man page.

"Yes, I would like to see a single command that can do it all (omnimm would be the choice), but it just isn't available yet"
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Angus you are correct, you cannot do it all from the one command... but you can in a script. I have one that identifies the previous 24 hours backups in my tape library, ejects the tapes into the mailslot and spits out a report.

-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Just as another afterthought, this is another way to look at it (if your mech supports uma).
Check out the man page for uma.

echo stat x | /opt/omni/lbin/uma -tty -ioctl $LIB_DEV |grep " X"
'Note: $LIB_dev is the path of your hardware library (/dev/rac/c0t0d0)'
It also works interactively, however, other operations, do not update the omniback database, so I have generally tried to remove it from all my scripts. No telling if mc or uma will continue to be supported in the future, but I would expect that omnimm and omnirpt will be.

Mr Tully, I too have entered script hell. It works fine, but requires care and feeding as things change. I would prefer to use only one command and its syntax within the scripts if I could. Better yet, I would like to see the GUI capable of getting and reporting that particular piece of information.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown