1752271 Members
4506 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore 40x6i & Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Andre Joao Reis
Occasional Contributor

Surestore 40x6i & Windows 2000 Advanced Server

We have installed the Dat40x6i Autoloader on a Compaq Cluster (2 Proliant CL380) system running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

We're pretty sure about the scsi connection and hardware configuration.
However, Windows only recognizes the tape driver ('C5713a SCSI Sequential Device'). Shouldn't it recognize two devices, one for the tape and other for the autoloader?

TapeWare (i believe it is 6.2spr3) that ships with the Dat does not present the Status tab.

is there anything we've overlook?
Assuming a correct hardware configuration, may we consider that the part is defective?

TIA,
AjR
5 REPLIES 5
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

You can try the HP tape diagnostic tool 'HP Library & Tape Tools'. It can be downloaded at http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools.

It contains device tests, and if there are any problems with the device, it will generate a support ticket that will be required for service.
Andre Joao Reis
Occasional Contributor

We have already checked HP Tools. The problem is that, as with the operating system, Tools only finds one device on the scsi bus. all tests work fine, except the 'DDS Autoloader exerciser'. As Tools only sees the drive, the program returns something like "Select the autoloader not the drive".
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

I don't have the documentation for that device handy.

But one possibility may be that the device is configured in 'stacker mode', where the drive will automatically switch to the next cartridge once you reach the end of the current cartridge. In this case, you may not see the autoloader lun, as this is mutually exclusive.

Check the front panel settings and the dip switches on the bottom of the device.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> However, Windows only recognizes the tape driver ('C5713a SCSI Sequential Device'). Shouldn't it recognize two devices, one for the tape and other for the autoloader?

I'm guessing that you do not have LUNs enabled on your HBA.

The DDS autoloaders normally report the two devices (drive & autoloader) as separate LUNs (logical unit numbers).

The autoloader is normally LUN 1, and the drive is LUN 0. Depending on the 'Autoloader options' switch (or jumper) settings, the inquiry strings returned can vary.

First, check that your SCSI BIOS has LUNs enabled.

Second, check you autoloader options switch setting. The standard setting for a PC would be '7' (for the external enclosure).

With the above settings, you should see C5713A on both LUN 0 (sequential tape device) and LUN 1 (medium changer device).

The journey IS the reward.
Andre Joao Reis
Occasional Contributor

Finally, the problem is solved, and Windows now detects both devices.
the compaq dl380 comes with the Integrated Smart Array Controller, to which we had connected the Autoloader. Turns out the Smart Array controller doesn't support devices with LUN>0, so we had to attach the autoloader to another (better) scsi controller.
Everything seems to be working fine now.
Thanks to all of you guys for your assistance!