StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surestore 72i tape drive - how to connect to an external scsi ID switch in an external drive case

Peter_198
Occasional Visitor

Surestore 72i tape drive - how to connect to an external scsi ID switch in an external drive case

I would appreciate any help with installing an internal Dat 72i drive into an external drive case. In particular, what is the correct connection for the scsi ID switch? The internal wires from the ID switch in the external case are brown, red, yellow, grey, black. How do these correspond to the pins in the back of the drive which have jumpers?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Surestore 72i tape drive - how to connect to an external scsi ID switch in an external drive case

Hi Peter, if the drive is going to have a fixed permanent address, why not just put links on the addressing pins. Looking at the pins from the rear the first two are "term power" which you will not need to link if you have a proper terminator on the rear. and the next 3 pairs are the "4" "2" and "1" bits. so if you want to make the address 3 put links on the "2" and "1" bits. Normally if the device is on its own channel you could leave all links off and make it address "0"
hope this helps
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Peter_198
Occasional Visitor

Re: Surestore 72i tape drive - how to connect to an external scsi ID switch in an external drive case

I appreciate Malvyn's helpful comment made but I am still trying to grasp how to connect the SCSI ID switch.

Apologies for coming back on this subject but it is better for me to have a switchable SCSI Id as I need to transport the external tape unit to 3 machines.

There is, I am sure, a simple logic to this connection but I can't solve it. If anyone is good at puzzles this is the challenge:-

My SCSI ID switch has externally selectable numbers. On the rear of the switch it has 5 pins with a plug connected and 5 wires that would go to the HP jumper pins.

From top to bottom at the switch end the wires are Black, grey, yellow, red, brown. At the jumper pin ends are 3 , 2gang plugs.

Brown and red are in one plug pair; yellow and grey in another and black is in another with a loop connecting both terminals together.

When I test the switch with a multimeter I get the following connections:

For ID 1 , black and brown connect and make a circuit
For ID 2 , grey and brown connect
For ID 3 , grey and brown connect
For ID 4 , yellow and brown connect
For ID 5 , black yellow and brown connect
For ID 6 , grey yellow and brown connect
For ID 7 , black grey yellow and brown connect
For ID 8 , red and brown connect
For ID 9 , black red and brown connect

So, the puzzle is - how do these plug into the jumper pins.

Any help gratefully received.

Peter