108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore DAT24 error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Troy DuVal
Advisor

Surestore DAT24 error

I have an external Surestore DAT24 drive on NT 4.0 and I use the backup.exe program built in with Windows for my backups.

Everything was working fine until today when I tried to catalog the backups for last night. While the backup program is cataloging is gives me the error "TAPE DRIVE ERROR DETECTED" I hit ok and it takes me back to the main screen. It sees the tape but I can't get to the data now. I use a simple BAT file to run my backups and I have noticed over the past few days that when the backup completed the orange cleaning light would be blinking. I've cleaned the drive numerous times with brand new cleaning tapes but it kept coming back. Not sure if that's related at all.

Anyone have an idea what this error is or could be?

Thanks

Troy
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor

Re: Surestore DAT24 error

Hi

This could be a hardware issue with the tape drive. What you should try is firstly doing a multiple clean ( 5 or 6 times back to back ) and then running the Tapetools diags.. www.hp.com/support/tapetools . Its just over 4 mb in size.

From the Tapetools diags you can run 5 tests on the drive and also perform a drive recalibiration.

Thanks

Jeff

Troy DuVal
Advisor

I ran the first test and it told me I need to re-calibrate my drive. I didnt see in the Tape Tools software where I could do this

Thanks

Troy
Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi mate how you doing?

In the Tapetools s/ware ( the latest one ) on our website there should be an option called Utility at the top. When you click on this, select run script and browse for one called dds write recal. Then ok that, select your device and run the script. If it fails, your drive has a h/ware issue ( usually .

Thanks

Jeff
Troy DuVal
Advisor

I ran the script yesterday and it seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for your help.

Troy
Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor

Your very welcome Troy!

Thanks

Jeff
Tim Rouse

I'm having this exact same problem. Surestore DAT24 internal on a Win2k server.

Ran the calibration script, and got the following error:

Running script
Reading script file
C:\Program Files\HP Library & Tape Tools\scripts\ddsWriteRecal.ssc

Starting script execution of script DDSWriteRecalProc

Script exception occurred
I/O Exception (Error 2408 - I/O: An unexpected Win32 error has been reported)
SCSI Cmd I/O at 2/0.3.0: Write Buffer

Now what?
Bucher