1748280 Members
3777 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore DAT40

Maurice Reed
Advisor

Surestore DAT40

I have just installed a DAT40 drive (firmware C005)on my NT4 server to supplement the DAT24 already in use. Backup software is Veritas BackupExec 7.3

The problem: I can Quick Erase,Inventory and label tapes OK but, if I initiate a backup the job fails with a Tape not ready error. I have run HP TapeAssure and TapeTools diagnostics ok. I have checked Veritas web-site and it says software IS compatible with the drive.

Second problem relates to updating firmware. The device is firmware vesion C005, I have gone to the web site to download the firmware update C5683a_c104.frm but when I go into TapeTools to update firmware it looks for files with a .hp extension. Si is this the correct update for the drive and if so how do I install it?

Thanks in advance
I hate bl**dy computers!!!
2 REPLIES 2
Maurice Reed
Advisor

Re: Surestore DAT40

We have now disconnected the DAT24 drive and the DAT40 works fine. Is there a problem with connecting DAT24 & DAT 40 tape drives on the same SCSI cable??

I still have the problem re updating firmare. Would appreciate any suggestions, cheers.
I hate bl**dy computers!!!
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

Re: Surestore DAT40

The DAT40 is a wide LVD SCSI device and the DAT24 is a narrow SE SCSI device, so they need different types of SCSI cable. They will co-exist on the same HBA, but it's best to but the DAT40 on a wide bus and DAT24 on a narrow bus. The FRM firmware files are used by HP Libaray & Tape Tools