StoreEver Tape Storage
1751968 Members
4764 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore DLT 1/8 tape library

jvpiazza

Surestore DLT 1/8 tape library

I replaced the tape drive in the unit(benchmark DLTVS80) but it seems to run very slow. I would like to try updating the firmware but the current firmware is not an hp version, therefore tape tools does not see the unit as a compatible device. Is there another way to load the latest hp firmware without using the tape tools?
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

please check the blocksize in your backupsoftware! this is the main cause for slow backups with an DLT or DAt drive.

Seems that some backup software reset the blocksize when exchanging the tape drive

see also:
HP Tape Backup - HP StorageWorks DAT, DLT, DLT1, DLTVS80 and DLTVS160 Performance
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50167

otherwise check with L&TT if the write performance is okay or if there might be some issues

cheers mike
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"but the current firmware is not an hp version"

It is very unlikely to make a non-hp drive working in this box.

You cannot download hp firmware to a non-hp drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
jvpiazza

The original drive was a Benchmark also. I replaced it with the exact same model, otherwise I would have to agree that it would not be possible to load the hp firmware, but it is made for this drive. I just can't load it with tape tools. I will try checking the block size and write performance but I won't be able to use the tape tools. Thanks for the Input, greatly appreciated!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Advanced options on L&TT
It is sometimes necessary to disable L&TT safeguards to perform more advanced operations.
These operations (options) are only available after you have entered the necessary password. To obtain
this password, contact HP support. After you have entered the password, the Options button on the
Update Firmware tab becomes available. When you click this button, the Factory Firmware Overrides
dialog box opens (this dialog box varies slightly between drives and libraries)

The Factory Firmware Overrides dialog box presents the following three options:
├в ┬в Allow firmware downgrading├в By default, L&TT does not show files with older revision levels as
selectable. On the Local Firmware Files tab, the comment field displays the message ├в downgrade
password required.├в In most cases, you should use the latest firmware. However, if software
incompatibilities or other customer limitations require the use of older firmware revisions, this
checkbox lets you downgrade to older firmware revisions.
├в ┬в Allow selection of any [drive or library] firmware file├в This option allows mapping of the device
firmware to a product, irrespective of the device├в s product ID. There are a few cases in which the
product ID does not match the desired firmware file (and the ID may also need to be updated).
One case is when a library is being updated from one drive technology to another. Another case
is when the device has a firmware revision string format that differs from that in the firmware file,
and the tool cannot determine whether it is newer or older. If incompatible firmware is sent
to a device, an error message is displayed.
├в ┬в Update [drive or library] product ID├в This writes the product ID from the firmware file to the drive.
NOTE:
A number of products may not support updating the product ID, so use this feature only when you
know the device supports it. The most common use of this feature is for updating drive technologies in
optical libraries.

Temporary password is '3A9Y1E93FAYEFS'
Password valid 20 days from 02/23/2007
(Remove ('') for password use)
Keep learning!!!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

hp StorageWorks 1/8 vs80 autoloader firmware file:

Autoloader - 5E40 (A single firmware image is used for drive and autoloader. The firmware image contains drive version V064 and autoloader version 5E40)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&pnameOID=72872&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=327382тМй=en&cc=us
Keep learning!!!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

If you have the next model:

Selected Technology: Surestore Tape
Selected Model: 1/8 VS80 Autoloader (Thick Crust VS80)
Selected Product: C9264CB

Is the same revision for your autoloader and your drive than I sent you before
Keep learning!!!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Or try with the file attached
Keep learning!!!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That particular unit will accept a number of different automation VS80 drives and function. The problem is that most of the drives that will work have different firmware that HP does not have available and it is usually not possible to load the HP firmware over the top of the firmware on the drive even with the L&TT passwords.

Your best option for updating firmware is to find the company that originally sold this drive and get the latest firmware from them.