8047 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore DLT VS80 compatability

CA1175880
Occasional Contributor

Surestore DLT VS80 compatability

Hi,

How can I format HP DLT Tape IV on the Surestore DLT 80i drive so that it can be read in Surestore DLT VS80 drive? I use Windows 2000 Backup (ntbackup.exe) and Removable storage manager (rsm.exe) from a cmd script to backup files. Is it at all possible?

--
Thanks,
Oskar
3 REPLIES 3
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Oskar, that tape cannot be formatted for VS80 once it has been written to by a DLT80. It can be professionally degaused and used but We don't really recommned it because it can shorten the life of the tape.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1175880
Occasional Contributor

That's strange, because the "DLT VS80 tape drive user's guide" (lpg29152.pdf, media compatability) says DLT Tape IV from DLT 8000 (80) can be used in read-only mode in DLT VS80, as long as it is formatted using 4000 (40) format.

Here' the quote:

cartridges previously used in other dlt format

drives If DLTtape IV data cartridges have been previously used in other DLT format tape drives (other than DLT VS80 or DLT1 tape drives) then they have a reduced compatibility when used with your DLT VS80 tape drive as shown by the table below:

DLTtape IV cartridge previously written by: DLT 4000 plus DLT 7000 and DLT 8000 drives that use the 4000 format

compatibility:Read

Partial Compatibility - data cartridge can be read only.

In each case, a data cartridge previously used on a DLT 4000, DLT 7000, DLT 8000 or SDLT tape drive must be bulk erased (magnetically erased) before data can by written to it by a DLT VS80 tape drive

Note: The term DLT format tape drive refers collectively to the DLT1, DLT VS80, SDLT, DLT 4000, DLT 7000 and DLT 8000. HP also refers to these last three drives as DLT 40, DLT 70 and DLT 80 respectively.
meloni
Honored Contributor

yes Oskar, dlt vs80 is compatible (Read only) with DLT4000 format.
You can force a dlt8000 to write the tape in a dlt4000 format, and then theoricaly read the data with VS80.
If you have both units, just give it a try and let us know if the system work. I never tryed myself, but I think you will have success. Windows 2000 have no influence on the tape format, it is the capability of the heads of the dlt8000 to rotate several degree right and left, that allow a higher printfoot on the magnetic tape in order to be compatible with dlt4000
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)