StoreEver Tape Storage
1753338 Members
5440 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore Ultrium 215/230 Variable Speed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert L. Wellman

Surestore Ultrium 215/230 Variable Speed?

I ran across something interesting today on HP's website. They indicate that the Surestore 215 can:

"And tape speed automatically adjusts to slower hosts, reducing frequent repositions caused by data stream interruptions, increasing overall speed and reliability."

I was under the impression that the LTO standard does not allow for variable speed write.

Is this true?

Can it sustain a slower transfer rate?

Is the 230 capable of adjusting it's speed?

Can the 215 be used in a 2/20 tape library?

I am in an environment where I can not guarantee my data transfer rate. This is the primary reason I have been hesitating to move to an LTO solution. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get a hold of the number for LTO 2nd tier technical support if anyone has it. I spoke to an HP tech that was not able to help me much.

Thanks
Robert W.
2 REPLIES 2
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Both Ultriums (230/215) use what is called as Adaptive Tape Speed (ATS). Tape speed varies to keep the 16Mb data buffer at a predefined level, preventing stream failure over slow hosts. It decreases the number of repositions, thus improving reliability and reducing returns.

The 230 range adapts speed from 6.1Mb/s to 15Mb/s, or 1.62-4m/s tape speed, whereas the 215 range ranges from 6.1-7.5Mb/s, or 1.62-2m/s tape speed.

Yes, the 2/20 accepts LTO 215 drives.

Hope this helps,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Robert L. Wellman

Thanks Vincent that answered all my questions and then some. A perfect 10.

-Robert W.