StoreEver Tape Storage
1753667 Members
5745 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore ext. DLT1 - Tape very stuck

CA1093640

Surestore ext. DLT1 - Tape very stuck

Turning on the drive (tape stuck inside), gives loud ratelling noise for a few seconds, then all three lights come on and stay on. Nothing else happens. Tried to hold eject button while switching on drive, but it doesn't seem to help.

Sorry, there must be a post about this somewhere, but can't really find it. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: Surestore ext. DLT1 - Tape very stuck

What you describe sounds like a "dropped leader".

Here's how to diagnose it:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50027

Here's how to fix it if is out of warranty:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50338
The journey IS the reward.
CA1093640

Thank you for the quick reply.

I've just opened the case and I can see that the tape has been picked up and is visible through the translucent dust cover, on the take up spool. So I guess this is not a "dropped leader".

Could it have to do with dust inside the drive?
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

If I understand correctly, you have a tape in the drive, and the tape is at least partially wound into the takeup reel (in the drive).

It sounds like the drive is having difficulty tensioning the tape when it is being loaded (resulting in the 3 lights flashing).

If you can install HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools), you can collect a support ticket which may show us what kind of error is occuring. Post the .ltt file here.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Vincent,

If you send your email address to lttna@hp.com, and mention this posting, we can send you a power-point presentation on how to remove the tape.

I assume the drive is out of warranty, is that correct?
CA1093640

Miracles happen! I plugged in the drive this morning, with the tape still inside (it has been in there for a few weeks now, was unable to get it out). The rattling noise was there again (is this normal??), however only the "ready" light was flashing (instead of all three on), while the drive started reading the tape! It took about five minutes to finish, and for the first time in weeks, only the "ready" light was on, and I was able to eject the tape.

Thanks for the help.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

It would still be worthwhile seeing what type of errors the drive was seeing (by generating a support ticket for the drive using LTT).

You might want to not use that tape again - it could have some mechanical problems.
Olala

Hi Vincent,
So, does Your DLT make backups? I have the same problem and as warranty gone, hope that it is possible to fix without HP service. I can eject tape, noise sounds somewhere from device read/write head, lights may flash and may not, after PC restart DLT1 may look Ok, but when backup begins - noise and then hardware error...

Oleg