1753464 Members
4765 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: T&LT Broke with STORport and SAN

Derek_31
Valued Contributor

T&LT Broke with STORport and SAN

v3.5 of the Tape and Library tools seems to have broken when used in conjunction with the STORport FCA driver under Windows Server 2003. When it does the hardware scan it finds all of the devices, but then hangs forever during the scan.

Replacing the FCA drivers with the latest SCSIport version resolves the problem.

Does HP plan on making a STORport compatible version of the tape tools?
17 REPLIES 17
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Derek,

Can you clarify what the specific LTT symptoms are with this driver?

Also, do you have an HP tape library connected to an HBA running this driver?

I'm only aware of the Storport driver for the Emulex and Qlogic FC HBAs, and the only HBA listed as supported in our Enterprise Backup Solutions (EBS) compatability matrix (www.hp.com/go/ebs) is the Emulex LP982. For that HBA, it states that only the FC Port (not Storport) driver is supported.

If you could carify which HBA you have, and with which products you are using it with, that would help us.

Dave R
HP Engineering
The journey IS the reward.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

FCA2101, MSL5030. During the initial hardware scan it finds all of the hardware but never completes the scan..it just keeps scanning forever.

When is HP going to support all of their HBAs and STORport for backup? Doesn't seem like rocket science to fully support products they sell...just a matter of testing.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Derek,

Thanks for the additional information.

As I understand it, you have the win2k3 with the FCA2101 HBA, connected to an MSL5030, and you are using the storport driver for this HBA.

The storport driver support for win2k3 appears to be new with the August 04 EBS matrix (no storstor support listed in July).

Assuming you have version 5-1.02a5 of the FCA2101 storport driver, and running either HP Data Protector or Legato Networker as your backup app, then that configuration is supported now.

I could not find any known issues for the LTT hang problem you reported, so I have reported it to the LTT team.

If you could also send a quick message to ltt_team@hp.com, that will allow them to reply back to you if they have any additional questions, or would like to request the eventlog from LTT.

Regards,
Dave R
HP Engineering
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Thanks. It is a consistent problem that I've experienced between two different SANs, all with the same hardware.

Do you know when CommVault Galaxy is going to be certified for STORport?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Derek,

The additional information helps.

You mention two different setups. Are these both otherwise working (including backup apps)?

We are going to see if we can reproduce the problem here. Let us know what CPU hardware you have, and which ISV app(s), so we can duplicate your config as closely as possible.

I noticed your email in the LTT_mailbox, so the team should be getting back to you. There's an eventlog file (EventLog.ltt) in the LTT logs subfolder. If you could email that to the team after the hang (just kill the process), it might show where the scan is getting hung up. LTT sends a message to the driver during its scan, to ask for the list of devices discovered.
SteveBxxx
Frequent Advisor

I had this exact same problem also, reported it to the LTT team (hadn't seen this thread at the time), they replied it's a known problem.

I'm using FCA2101 with 5-1.02a5 driver that is on the HP website, plus the latest Microsoft Storport driver from KB838894.

2 further oddities I have:

(1)After LTT hangs, if I reboot server, W2003 closes down but then hangs forever without rebooting (has to be powered off and on).

(2) The Microsoft ntbackup also does not work correctly, sees the drive and mounts tape OK, gets to "rewinding tape," but then hangs forever (didn't bother to report this to MS as I thought I'd wait for the LTT resolution first).

Needless to say, using Miniport driver instead of Storport driver, everything works fine.

I'd be interested in any comment / feedback, as we'd like to get the Storport working.

Steve

BarnabyArnott
Frequent Advisor

I have been having a beast of a time with the same issue:
FCA2214 using STORport 9.0.1.18 from HP's support site. I didn't note any restrictions on SAN hardware with this driver.
HP DL360 G4p
HP SW SAN switch 4/8 f/w v.5.0.1b
MSA1500 fw 6.86
NS E1200 (fw?) to MSL6060 fw 5.13 w/2 drives

I am trying to upgrade the library firmware and had the same symptoms in L&TT 4.1:
-scan hangs after detecting devices - doesn't complete (dialog shows outstanding I/O for xxx seconds)
-cannot stop HP_LTT.exe process running under my user account
-Windows shutdown hangs after all messages clear and sits at a grey background until I hit the power button.

Additonal info:
Install of STORport driver states old version unknown, even when reinstalling the same version.

Does that help? This is two years on and still seem to have the same problem.

Cheers, Barnaby
Terry Peterson_1

Dopo aver aggiornato il firmaware dei sistemi DL360 G3 (con il firmware upgrade CD versione 7.70) ed i driver windows (Windows 2003 support package versione 7.70), abbiamo aggiornato HP Library & tapeTools alla versione 4.2 SR1.

Dopo aver lanciato l├в utility, questa ha correttamente riconosciuto i dispositivi ma non ha mai fermato la scansione. Ogni tentativo di fermarla ├Г┬и stato inutile e neanche il kill del processo ├Г┬и stato in grado di rimuoverla dalla memoria centrale (HP_LTT.EXE presente come processo in memoria con un├в occupazione fissa di circa 16MB).

Per ripristinare le condizioni normali di funzionamento ├Г┬и stato necessario togliere l├в alimentazione al server in quanto il normale shutdown non ├Г┬и stato in grado di far chiudere regolarmente il sistema (sistema fermo con schermo grigio dopo aver chiuso tutti i processi in foreground).

Quali sono i passi corretti per risolvere questo problema ?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

it may be better to open your own thread and ask your question in english.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!