108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TL891 MiniStorage problems!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
gina_8
Occasional Contributor

TL891 MiniStorage problems!!

I have inherited a TL891 HV ministorage library. I have finally found a differential terminator for this unit and when I installed it the os (w2k) doesn't see the tape unit. UGHHH I have been fighting with this pos for too long.

Ok I must admit that I am not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to tape drives and backups. I have the cable in the first slot and the terminiator in the second slot....

I downloaded the manual off of the web but its greek to me..

Any help you can provide is appreciated
9 REPLIES 9
BR740049

Re: TL891 MiniStorage problems!!

Hello there.

How many cables do you have attached to the library? There should be one cable from the server to the library, one short cable between 2:nd port to the 3:rd port and the terminator on the 4:th port (i.e. SCSI ports on the TL891.)

The first cable gives the server access to the robotic mecanism. The short one connects the tapedrive to the mecanism.

If both cables are not present, the server only recognise the robotic arm. Not much use if you don??t have the drive... :)

Be sure to use the right drivers with the system... Good luck.
//Fredrik
gina_8
Occasional Contributor

Wow I only have one cable connected to the server and the terminator in the second slot....what kind of cable do I need for the 2rd and 3rd slot????
BR740049
Solution

Just an ordinary SCSI-cable will do. As short as possible and with the right connectors. If you contact a HP/Compaq reseller you??ll have the right sparepart number to really get the right cable. Ask for a daisychain cableto a TL891 and they should know what you are talking about.

//Fredrik
gina_8
Occasional Contributor

Please have some patience with me because now I am confused. The long cable runs from the server to the Library scsi slot on the tl891. (keep in mind that there are a total of 6 scsi slots on the tape lib)

then I have a blank slot next to that and a dlt1 and a blank one after that.

then I have a dlt2 slot and a blank one after that...a total of six....and I am not daisy chaining any additional storage units to the tl891 it will be standalone.

Please advise......

Gina
BR740049

I??m a patient guy.
:)

The first 4 slots should be occupied. As you don??t have a second tapedrive, the slots for that one is left empty.

(From left)
Slot1 - servercable
Slot2 - cable to slot3
Slot3 - cable from slot2
Slot4 - terminator
Slot5 - empty
Slot6 - empty

Hope you get it right.

//F
gina_8
Occasional Contributor

ok and the cable that goes from slot 2 to slot 3 can that be a loopback cable?
Andrew_145

If you had two ldlt's in a TL891, you can use

Slot1 - servercable
Slot2 - cable to slot3
Slot3 - cable from slot2
Slot4 - terminator
Slot5 - servercable
Slot6 - terminator
Josh Larsen
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone know will a LSI Logic LSI00025 SCSI adapter communicate with a Compaq TL891? The adapter sais it is

Connector Type - 68 pin HD D-Sub (HD-68)
Interface - Ultra Wide SCSI
SCSI Signaling Type - HVD

I have 2 tape Drives in this unit. And when i got it is had

Slot1 - servercable
Slot2 - cable to Slot3
Slot3 - cable from Slot2
Slot4 - Cable to Slot5
Slot5 - Cable to Slot4
Slot6 - terminator

Will I be able to use both Drives in this confivuration.

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950, Windows Server 2003 R2, Backup Exec 10D.

Thanks,
Josh

pedror414

No I have no idea about this. I am also looking for some mini storage companies. I heard about baltimore self storage but seamed it i large company and expensive also. I need mini storeage company. Can anyone suggest me.? Thanks

baltimore self storage