4264 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TL891 and Expansion unit

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

TL891 and Expansion unit

Dear all,

We have a Compaq Server which we have Windows 2000 (SP1) loaded on it. We have just purchased the TL891 and the expansion unit TL890, which gives us 26 slots for tapes. We have also purchased the relevant cables and also the differential SCSI adapter. However, on the display panel, unlike the manuals it only says DLT0 and is missing DLT1. The Bios picks up the TL890 as SCSI ID0, and the other two heads as ID 4 and 5. However, in Arcserve when we use the device configuration, we can only assign one head to the library. It comes up with a message on the lines of "Cannot add device, the library has reacheds its limit of devices".

We have checked the cables and made sure the terminators and cables are connected correctly.

However, in Arcserve, it should display both heads under the Library, but it lists only one and the other seperately. I have looked around the website for white papers etc, but have not found anything. I would be very grateful if ayone can drop me an email or post a reply to this, as I have tried various things without much luck. All the cables have been seated properly as Arcserve sees it all okay.

Many thanks in Advance
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: TL891 and Expansion unit

Hi James, you must change TL891 SCSI ID, Robotic is ID 1, Drive0 is ID 2, Drive1 is ID 3, and TL891 Firmware version is 0514, the other,you must ensure all of SCSI cables are connected correctly,include general SCSI cable and jump cable, terminator.....
you can go to compaq web site and search "170098-003"
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've found something on the DLT MiniLibrary Installation and Upgrading CD (June 99):

IMPORTANT: All MiniLibrary Base Units are shipped as standalone systems. Before powering up the Expansion Unit in a MiniLibrary system after adding Base Units, you must re-configure each new Base Unit in the system as a slave. The Expansion Unit is the master for the entire library.

View the Base Unit's front panel.

Go to the Alternate Configuration menu.

Change the fourth line to 'Slave'.

Save the new selection. Repeat for each Base Unit.

Change SCSI IDs, if necessary at this point. Refer to the product documentation for specific instructions.
The SCSI IDs must be unique. So if there are drives daisy-chained together, you might need to change the IDs. Compaq strongly recommends limiting how many drives are daisy-chained together.

Cycle the power when done.

But... It did'nt work... after I've done what the above text tells me, the TL891 will perform a Firmwareupdate...
During this Update the ExpansionUnit came with a errormessage and now both (TL891 and DataUnit) are waiting to "synch with Master or Host".

s**t

I've downloaded the Firmware Upgrade for the TL891 (170678-001) but it tells me that there is either no Firmware on the disk or no DLT-Library.
I tried it via fibre (with modular Data Router) and direkt with a Adaptec2944UW. ---- Both the same error...

Flex
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

TL891 bios update is tricky. connect to the serial port on the rear of the library & run the update software from the diskette ( you should have got the serial cable & diskette with the unit. you can get the latest image using TSMC & then fire the new image to the TL891. it will the erase in about 2 seconds & then re program in about 3 mins. It will then re-boot. I logged support calls with Compaq & got nowhere. This was the only method that I could get to work & has worked on every library I have had to work on ....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Currently, support for Digital Alpha and higher-end Storageworks products is not on this forum. If you are in the US or Canada, call 1-800-354-9000. If you are elsewhere, please contact our nearest offices for support information or check any service contracts you may have for the product in question.