StoreEver Tape Storage
1748195 Members
2668 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TL891 firmware upgrade? Frequent cleaning indications?

Peter_245

TL891 firmware upgrade? Frequent cleaning indications?

I have a TL890DLX Mini library expansion(master) unit connected to two TL891 base(slave) units. Each of the base(slave) units have two 40/80Gb DLT drives. The TL890 DLX expansion unit is connected to a PL DL580, our back up server.
My first question is, does anyone know what is the best way to do a firmware upgrade of the 40/80Gb drives? I???ve firmware upgraded the Expansion/base units using Libcentre and I have installed TSMC on the DL580 Server. But even though the TSMC can see the 40/80Gb DLT drives it cannot find any firmware to execute the upgrade. I???m using the Auto method in which it is suppose to go out onto the web and pick up the most recent firmware for your specific devices but it is not coming back with any firmware upgrades. And therefore the upgrade is not done.
Secondly, where on the Compaq website can you locate firmware, for the DLT 40/80Gb drives???I can???t seem to find them anywhere???
By the way the reason why I am doing these upgrades is because I???m hoping they may help with a problem, where the tape drives are frequently asking to be cleaned
Peter
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

TSMC has been obsoluted. Try L&TT which can be found at http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

It can update the drives but no the TL891 as it requires serial updates.
Earl Goldberg

Corrections: L&TT can NOT upgrade the library nor the drive firmware on a Windows system. I wish someone would post information on exactly how to do so.
Andrew Hazell
Advisor

Peter

The heads are probably dirty from using old tapes. I know of a company who could clean them for you, let me know if you are interested.