4812 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TL891 mini is not recognized as a robot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hans Bent

TL891 mini is not recognized as a robot

I use Veritas Backupexec 9.0 (Win) on win2k. But I can't get it to recognize TL891 as a robot. Does anyone know why? I have the latest firmware, but I can't find any "new" drivers for the unit.

Thanks Hans Bent
8 REPLIES 8
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Many of the tape backup applications have the robotic driver included or built-in with the app (and use NT miniport for access). Check the BUE documentation.

Does the library show up as a device on your system? ("DEC TL800 (C) DEC")

You can use HP L&TT (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) to see which SCSI devices are discovered.

There is an hptapedrvs bundle on the support web that includes drivers for the TL891, but I'm not sure BUE would use them.
The journey IS the reward.
Hans Bent

In device manager it shows as "Compaq 35/70 GB DLT Tape drive (DEC TZ89)" When I tried the driver you recomended it didn't change description and it is still not recognized as a robot. The device is working, not as a robot but as a single tape backup device. I also tried to use the Backupexec drivers but this did not help.

Hans Bent
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> When I tried the driver you recomended it didn't change description and it is still not recognized as a robot.

The drivers should not change the description of the tape device. The robot should appear separately in device manager under 'Medium Changers'.

With or without a driver loaded, it should show up under medium changers.
Hans Bent

There is no "Medium changer" here and there is no unistalled devices here eather.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Can you run HP L&TT to see what devices it discovers on the SCSI bus?

Is the library robot controller daisy-chained with the drive(s), or is it on a separate bus?
Hans Bent

In HP L&TT and connections I can see that the DEC TZ89 is connected to SYMC8XX (first port so I guess you would call that dasychained, but I do not have physical ax to the server room atm, and I don't have to much skills on this subject.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The TL891 robot should appear as:
DEC TL800 (C) DEC

If that is not showing up, there is an issue with the library controller.
Hans Bent

We changed server and now it's working fine. Don't ask me why ;)

Thanks for all the help!

Hans Bent