108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TYPE IV DLT TAPE FULL CAUSES BACKUP TO FAIL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lycia Harding_1
Occasional Contributor

TYPE IV DLT TAPE FULL CAUSES BACKUP TO FAIL

I am using a type IV DLT tape cartridge in an HP SureStore 2/20 Tape Library. My original backup tape recently became full and the entire backup failed with the following error message from the Veritas Backup Exec software :

"The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued"

My backup takes almost 18 hours and I would like to know if there's a more reasonable way to tell when an additional tape is needed. I had to add a second tape and run the entire process again. It seems odd that the backup must fail before I know it's time to add more room. Any helpful hints?
3 REPLIES 3
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there.
Did i understand it right, that you have a library ?
Why doesn't the software take the next tape automatically ?
How many tapes in the library ?
Tapes locked for a certain period of time ?
Any tapes write protected ?
We use two libraries here. We only have that problem, if the tapes are protected until a certain date.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
You have a 20 slot library, as long as you have scratch tapes in library before backup start, you should be ok.

Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

As the others said it is a matter of your Veritas software not knowing enough to get another tape. I've never used Veritas so I can not tell you how to set that up.
Also, you said you have a 2/20 library. Why not use both tape drives? The data will spread across the 2 tapes and your backup time should decrease dramatically. Possibly nearly in half.