1752782 Members
6454 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape Being ejected

masauso zimba
Advisor

Tape Being ejected

We have just Installed two HP c7399 Ultrium tape drives and installed veritas Backupexec build 4691. The veritas config seems okay and the two drives are being picked up.

Problem is when we insert a tape (Hp Ultrium 200GB data cartridge) the cartridge is ejected. You insert the tape , the ready light flashes for a while, then tape is ejected. The error LED does not come on. Tape is just ejected. What could be the problem ? Incidentally this is happening to both the drives installed. What tests can be done to zero in on the problem.

Thanking You all In Advance,

Masauso.
Only those who go too far know how far one can go !
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

C7399 is a ultrium first generation, be sure to use the right cartridge (100/200GB) not a 200/400 or a cleaning one ;-)
second, the cartrigde contain a memory chip, that may be corrupted, try to write protect the cartridge (use the slide) and then load it to see if it work
masauso zimba
Advisor

Marino,

Thankx fro the suggestion. I tried it but the tape drive still ejects the tape.
I tried cartriges which we have used on a similar drive but they are also rejected.

What could be the problem ?

Thankx In Advance.

Masa
Only those who go too far know how far one can go !
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

usualy when a data cartridge is always ejected, the cause may be the cartridge, but if you are able to exclude it (as per your test) the problem may be with the Drive, some sensor may do not recognize the cartridge inside the unit and then eject it.
I would suggest first to try with a cleaning cartridge and see it this work.
Also try to stop all the BEXEC services, load L&TT and try to load tapes with it, it will help to identify the problem

Marino