108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape Drive Maintenance

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA899473
Occasional Contributor

Tape Drive Maintenance

I have a Colorado 20gb external tape drive. I have been reading about "cleaning" the tape drive. Do I need to purchase a cleaning tape from somewhere and run that periodically? Any other maintenance I should be doing?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Tape Drive Maintenance

Mark-
HP does not recommend using any type of cleaning cartridge for their Colorado tape drives.

Instead, they recommend "cleaning" it by retensioning a tape several times. (Accessed via the Tools menu.)

Also, there is an end-of-tape sensor that looks like a small window. This can be cleaned with a dry swab. If the end-of-tape is not sensed, the tape can become despooled.

Tim

If it works, don't fix it!
CA899473
Occasional Contributor

I thought whenever I backed up something, the tape was automatically retensioned anyway? Is this insufficient for "cleaning"? Also, I am not sure where to find this endoftape sensor that you describe. I flipped up the tape door and didn't see anything that resembled a window. Thanks
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Mark-
Feel free to use canned air or a swab to remove any other dust you see in the unit.

The end-of-tape window is about 1/8 inch wide and almost square. When you are looking into the unit, it is to the left of the spindle.

No the tape is not automatically retensioned. Do this from the tools menu, several times. The software will run the tape from end to end.

HP does not recommend the dry travan tape cleaning cartridges for their Colorado drives. Even though other manufacturers, such as Seagate, do.

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

You are correct about retension. If you are using CBII, under Tools/preferences you can choose to have the drive retension before every backup. This is recommended.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"