New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape Library 20/700 Network Config and Web acess

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manohar Pradhan
Occasional Contributor

Tape Library 20/700 Network Config and Web acess

Hi,

I am trying to configure a Tape Library 20/700 for our backup jobs. I have 2 SCSI bridge 4/2 as well.

When I tried to assign IP address to the tape library, it works fine. But the Gateway Address gets lost as soon as I reset the library. It is not saving Gateway IP details.

Also I can ping the library(i have assigned IP 192.168.0.1 and connected the ENET interface to out network). But while trying to access http://192.168.0.1 it is not giving me any pages. I believe web services are not running in this box. But as per documention- Web-based library administration services comes by default in this series and we do not need to put RMC.

The detail of the tape library is:

HP A5597A
COde Ver 1.65.00
Built On: Dec 6 1999 09:51:11
Hardware Ver: MPC 02200483

Can anyone help me out. DO I need to upgrade anything?

Thanks for your enlightment.

Regards
Manohar
12 REPLIES 12
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The first thing you should do is make sure that you have the latest firmware on your unit. I have the same model, and the firmware revision I have is 2.36 (I'm not sure if it is the latest, but it seems fairly stable). Also here is a link to the full set of manuals for this model.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manindex/hpsurestor19258_eng_man.html

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

From the original message:

COde Ver 1.65.00.

This is very old firmware. the firmware revision history is 1.65, 1.70, 2.20, 2.21, 2.30, and now 2.36.

Version 2.30 specificially included improvements to the reliability of the web interface.

Note: Support Tools Manager (on HP-UX) has a defect which prevents downloading the Lxxx library firmware. This will be fixed in a future HWE (perhaps June 2002). You would therefore need an HP CE to update this using an offline diagnostic tool.
The journey IS the reward.
Manohar Pradhan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot. So I presume my first step shall be upgrading the firmware.

Now again silly question: How do I do it? I am pretty new to the HP and I am given this enourmous task for a newbie :)

Here are the boxes I have:

HP E Tape Library
3 HP E SCSI Bridges FC 4/2. From each of these bridges, 4 SCSI cables are connected to the tapelibrary making 12 drives being attached.

HP L2000 server with Fibre Card, connected to the bridge. These boxes are running HPUX 11.

Actually I would like to start from scratch.. but seems I need to use that HPUX boxes for upgrading the firmware first. Does that mean firmware for bridges are to be upgraded as well?

Thanks again for your advices/help.

Regds
Manohar

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> How do I do it? I am pretty new to the HP ...

Usually Enterprise libraries are maintained by HP Customer Engineers. Is your product under warranty, or under a support contract?

The tools to update firmware on an L180/L700 library are:

Flash 97: A serial port tool that is usually run on a CE laptop computer.

HP Library & Tape Tools: A Windows based diagnostic tool that runs across SCSI or FC.

Support Tools Manager: A HP-UX based tool that runs across SCSI or FC.

The last two tools are available for both CEs and End-users. As I mentioned, there is a problem with STM currently.

If you cannot get your firmware updated under support, you could connect the library to a MS Windows system, and run HP L&TT yourself to update the firmware. The tool can be downloaded from http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Alternately, we may be able to provide you with an unofficial patch that allows you to run STM on your HP-UX system to update the library firmware.

Also, which type of drives are you using? I would assume DLT7000 or DLT8000. We should check the revision of your drive firmware, and see if they should be updated as well.
Manohar Pradhan
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks again for the info. Yeah we are using DLT8000.

Moreover, Flash program sounds cool, but dunno where can I get that. However I can ping the library throug Ethernet. In case of SCSI interface(without going through SCSI FC bridge) how can I connect, any Idea?

Also I could not find any info on Interfaces CSE1, CSE2 etc that I found in the sidewall of the library.

Thanks and Regards
Manohar
Manohar Pradhan
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have downloaded the tape tools for Win2K in my laptop and now I need to connect to the library. As I can see oit tries to scan using I/O or ASPI and not using the Ethernet(IP) at all.

Regards
Manohar
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Yes, if you intend to use the laptop running LTT to update the firmware, you need a SCSI Adapter for the laptop (either Adaptec 1460D or 1480) and appropriate cabling. Based on the type of controller you have in your library, you may also require a SE to Diff SCSI converter (as the HBAs only come in SE).

Then connect the laptop to the library controller and use LTT to download the firmware.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Also I could not find any info on Interfaces CSE1, CSE2 etc that I found in the sidewall of the library.

Only the ENET (Ethernet) port is intended for customer use, however there is no firmware download function across this port. The other ports (CSE, SER1, SER2, etc) are serial connections, for use with field engineer or factory tools only. The flash97 tool is an HP field tool which uses the CSE port.

> As I can see it tries to scan using I/O or ASPI and not using the Ethernet(IP) at all.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. As Jan mentions, it needs to interface to the device over SCSI or through fibre channel.

The L700s have two standard controller connections - one is single-ended (SE), and the other is High Voltage Differential (HVDS). By default, the library ships with a jumper to use HVDS. This jumper is not easily accessible.

Since you indicated using 4/2 bridges, then your library is most likely configured for the HVDS controller.

To use a laptop with a SE SCSI HBA, you would need to change the library jumper setting, or use a SE/DIFF converter box. An alternative would be a PC with an HVDS HBA.

Lastly, since this is already connected to an HP-UX system, the easiest solution may be to ensure that the 'ONLINE DIAGS' bundle is loaded, and have us provide you with a simple patch for the STM defect (which officially will release in June 02).
George_Dodds
Honored Contributor

Hello Peeps, i'm working with Manohar on this one.

What we need to know is if we use a pc with with a scsi card to upgrade the firmware, where do we plug the scsi cable in at the xp256 end?
Also is there a specific scsi cable that we will need to use.

Getting hp in to do this is not an option unfortunately.

Cheers

George