StoreEver Tape Storage
1748201 Members
2997 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TapeAlert message on Compaq 20/40GB DAT Drive

Kelly_37

TapeAlert message on Compaq 20/40GB DAT Drive

First off, this drive is a bugger to describe. The SCSI info returns a product ID of "20/40GB DAT DRV" and the Survey utility shows this:

Device 514 ........................(+) COMPAQ SDT-10000
Logical Unit ID 0 ................(+) COMPAQ SDT-10000
Device Type .....................(+) Sequential Access (Tape)
Firmware Version ................(+) 1.16

If any of you wizards out there can figure out what model of drive this truly is (serial# 0007007174), you'd win my admiration.

I have tried using both the latest and greatest drivers from HP/Compaq and the latest and greatest drivers from Veritas. Either way, I get tons of TapeAlert messages:

----- TapeAlert Events -----

Warning
Device: COMPAQ 1 (JANUS)
The tape drive has requested a retentin operation.

Warning
Device: COMPAQ 1 (JANUS)
The tape drive is having problems writing data. No data has been lost, but there has been a reduction in the capacity of the tape.

I've cleaned and cleaned the drive, but it still gets tons of soft write errors and these TapeAlert messages. I've used the HP-provided StorageWorks Tape and Media tools to run it through it's paces and upgrade the firmware to 1.16. The only thing I haven't done is try different media. Currently I'm using Imation BlackWatch DDS-150 DDS4 40/20 4mm DAT tapes. They have been in service for 6 months or so, going through a 6 tape rotation with nightly backups (incrementals on weekends, switching Fridays).

TIA,

Kelly Adams
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." -- Frank Zappa
2 REPLIES 2

Re: TapeAlert message on Compaq 20/40GB DAT Drive

Is the tape Digital data storage EOD006
ASSY P/N: 153618-001
4-654-994-02
Made in China
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: TapeAlert message on Compaq 20/40GB DAT Drive

> If any of you wizards out there can figure out what model of drive this truly is you'd win my admiration.

It's a DDS4 drive. It was called the Compaq 20/40 GB DAT drive. The drive itself was manufactured by Sony, where it's called the SDT-10000.

It came in a number of models (Opal, Alpha Server blue, and carbon black) in both internal and external flavors.

The latest firmware is 1.16 (available in HP LTT). The product released with 1.12 (the only other HP firmware revision).

The journey IS the reward.