1753853 Members
7828 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 1-SCSI - L&TT

Helen_M

Ultrium 1-SCSI - L&TT

Hello,

I have just replaced the HP autoloader 1/9 DLT tape drive to an Ultrium 1-scsi drive. FOr the life of me, I cannot get the backup computer nor the Backup Exec 10d software to recognize the new drive. I ran the L&TT but it only recognize the library. I logon to the webconsole to runn the update firmware for the library and its confirmed that its the correct version. Since it does not recognize there's a new drive, neither the web mgnt console nor the L&TT will let me upgrade the firmware for the drive.

I have looked both place for the driver of the new drive:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=34114&prodNameId=21927&swEnvOID=61&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=8418&swItem=co-3044-13

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/firmware/

Please can someone shed some light on me because I really have to get this backup drive to work. We are using Windows 2000 pro, SP4 with BE 10d. The tape drive is Ultrium 1-Scsi, Firmware Revision: E33W.

Thank you!

Helen

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ultrium 1-SCSI - L&TT

Hi,

there was a HVD SCSI and a LVD version of this box. When changing a drive, make sure you replace a HVD drive with a HVD drive (the same for LVD) - the type is written on the back of the tape and the library controller.

Mixing of both types doesn't work and will damage your equipment.

Please check if the library controller and the drive are of the same type.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Helen_M

Hi,

Its a HP Ultrium LVD tape drive so we have the right part. I spoke to a tech from HP autoloader support team this morning and was told that our Ultra2 Scsi is not the right adapter for the Ultrium 1-scsi drive. I will have to find a compatible one (C7474A) or Ultrium 320 card.
Helen_M

Hello!

Does anybody know if HP 64bit/133Mhz single channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA (C7474A)will be compatible to Ultrium 1-SCSI (C7768C).

Thanks!
Helen
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

>""I logon to the webconsole to runn the update firmware for the library and its confirmed that its the correct version. Since it does not recognize there's a new drive, neither the web mgnt console nor the L&TT will let me upgrade the firmware for the drive.""

Do you mean that when you log in the management card, you cannot see the drive?
in this case, are you sure you installed the correct drive? is it a HP one, if it have a OEM firmware it may be not recognized by the library, and from the RMC (remote management card) but if powered it should be seen from the scsi side.

If you cannot see it from the scsi side, I would suggest first to connect only the cable from tthe host to the drive, then the terminator and see if it work. Usualy these problems are due to bent pins on the connector of the cables or terminator, or damaged/broken cable, especialy the jumper one between the robotic and the drive.

Hello Helen,
I noticed that your LTO drive does not have the correct firmware for the 1/9 autoloader. A drive for the 1/9 autoloader should have an OEM2 personality of firmware, but your drive has an OEM20 personality. The link you posted contains the correct firmware versions for your autoloader. HP L&TT will not match any of the firmware in that firmware bundle to your drive because of the differing personalities.

Just to make it clear, drives are not interchangeable between library/autoloader platforms.

Another question - What drive type was the original drive? If it was not an LTO-1 drive and instead a DLT8000 drive, then your autoloader will most likely not allow the drive on the SCSI bus.

If you post an HP L&TT support ticket we should be able to troubleshoot a bit better.

As it stands now, I would say you need to find the correct drive for your autoloader.

Regards,

Bryce
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Helen_M

Bryce,

If you don't mind, would you point me to the place where I can download the right driver for our tape drive. Now that I have upgraded the SCSI card to 19160LP, at least Windows 2000 device is showing a sign "Unknown Medium Changer Device" but it does not give me the option to update the drive. But then again I don't have the correct drive so there I am, I am stuck at this point.

I really want to answer all your question but I am unclear about the LTT ticket request. If you need any informatin, please feel free to ask.

Helen

Heshmat
Advisor

For Tape devices is always recommended that you use the Veritas drivers, they have this utility that will install all the drivers at once, its called Tapeinst.exe and it should be somewhere on the veritas program folder, just do a search. If the medium changer doesnt get a driver after using tapeinst, veritas should still see the medium changer and be able to work with it. It doesnt require the medium changer driver, I dont know if this is recommended by veritas, but I have couple of set ups running like that.
Hope this helps.