3511 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 1-SCSI Tape tools issue

Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 1-SCSI Tape tools issue

Hi there,

I've got customer running Windows 2003 SBS with a Ultrium 1-SCSI tape drive.

We've been having some problems over the last week with backing up our data. When running HP tape tools to try and check the drive, i'm getting a message "The diagnostic functions are operating in restricted mode. Some functions may be disabled or limited while operating in restricted mode.

The restricted mode is entered if either the product ID is not properly recognized, or if the device operates in 'boot code' and required a firmware update"

When trying to run a firmware update, the current revision is P61D and the status says 'Ready - wrong personality'

I couldn't find any newer versions of the firmware either.

Please let me know what more information i need to provide,

Regards,
Daniel
11 REPLIES 11
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did they apply the wrong firmware to the drive? If you reboot and run the diagnostics does it fully pass?
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

├в ┬в L&TT recognizes the device, but the device is in ├в brain dead├в mode. This usually indicates that
the device firmware is corrupt and the device is responding via boot code only.
├в ┬в L&TT recognizes the device by means of the product ID code, but L&TT does not recognize the
personality codes of the device.
If one of these scenarios exist, then L&TT displays a message stating that it is running in restricted
mode when it is started. The functionality of L&TT is restricted as follows:
├в ┬в All features are disabled except for firmware update and support ticket.
├в ┬в The support ticket shows basic information only and excludes device details.
├в ┬в For firmware upgrades, L&TT enforces the Allow all files to be selected option, and
the Options button is unavailable because all options are preset.
To exit restricted mode, exit and restart L&TT. L&TT will continue to start in restricted mode until the
problem with the offending device is resolved, or the device is disconnected.
Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

I've reapplied the latest firmware and given the server a reboot with the same result. should i be contacting HP for a warranty claim or is there something else i should be trying?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

P61D is the most recent firmware for your drive so that's OK.

I'm a bit puzzled by the term 'restricted mode' because you seem to be able to blow firmware OK which you wouldn't normally be able to do in restricted mode.

The wrong personality may refer to firmware you've tried to blow but P61D is right for a standalone drive.

You don't mention anything odd about the LEDs on the front of the drive so I assume they go through a normal sequence and are left with the single green drive LED? Can you load a tape OK?

What can you do with LTT? Can you pull a support ticket and/or run a test?

I'm a bit worried you might have found an LTT defect. It should be tested against your drive type but there are always boundary conditions we can miss.

What version of LTT are you using? Latest is 4.11.

And finally, can you post the EventLog.ltt file to this thread so we can see what LTT thinks is going on?

Thanks. LTT team.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Richard,

I'll get back to you about the LED's on the front, I'm not next to the drive at the moment.

I'm running the latest 4.11 version of LTT and i've attached the eventlog file from it.

I can't pull a support ticket or run any tests on the drive either.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2jcbq7k.png
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ltt2ex.jpg
Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

I seemed to have trouble uploading the eventlog file here, so i've put it up at

http://rapidshare.com/files/436969293/EventLog.ltt
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you are running Arcserve, you have to disable it and turn on some services to run a test in Windows 2003.
Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

Also, the drive is not a stand alone drive, it is in the server, so it only has a eject button.
Daniel Millar
Occasional Advisor

And we're not running Arcserve, We use BackupExec and i've disabled all the services before using LTT