StoreEver Tape Storage
1745829 Members
3981 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 800GB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450GB of data on them

SerjioTT
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 800GB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450GB of data on them

I'm having problems with my Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader at Backup Exec 2010 even full backup of server.
My LTO4 800GB (1.6TB compressed) tapes is full, but only 400 - 450GB of on them.
Backup Exec reports 1:1 compression on tapes. I tryed hardware, software and no-compression tasks but tapes is full.
Then I tryed cleaned drive and start backup to new tape but tape is full :(

Please help me with trouble!

9 REPLIES 9
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 1.6 TB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450 GB of data on them

If it's 800 GB, then it's LTO3??

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/storage-media/product-detail.html?oid=3543409

And that will only hold 400 GB without compression.

SerjioTT
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 800GB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450GB of data on them

No it's HP C7974A LTO4 tapes  800GB non-compressed  (1.6TB with 2:1 compression)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 1.6 TB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450 GB of data on them

>800 GB non-compressed  (1.6 TB with 2:1 compression)

(Ah, you replaced the marketing number.)

One way to not get the 800 GB non-compressed would be if the tape starts and stops because it doesn't get data fast enough.

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: Ultrium 1760 1/8 G2 Autoloader - 800GB LTO4 tapes is full when only 450GB of data on them

Have you tried HP's tape diagnostic tool?: http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Use that tool to pull a 'Support Ticket' from the tape drive and you can view the ticket for some helpful 'Health' information about the drive.  You could also post that ticket here and maybe one of the experts can detect something from it.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SerjioTT
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I use LTT 4.9 and created ticket file of drive for support. It's attached.
I tried LTO Drive Assessment Test and on the test results "the drive is no longer recomended for use" warning.
The results of read/write test: incomplite; A write error occured. Clean the drive...
But I cleaned the drive for 3 times!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

LTT 4.9 is a bit old now, 4.16 is current.

However, you should first stop the drive polling from the windows system.

Disable the Removable Storage service.

This may help too:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3741000&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01567338-14%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Polling isn't good but it isn't going to have anything to do with this problem.  No amount of polling can effect the capacity loss.

LTT didn't make any conclusions because there is insufficient data but the logs tend to agree with your problem statement.  The last write operaton shows quite a bit of capacity loss but only 2.1GB was written which isn't enough to get a good measurement.  The exact same tape was used a few loads earlier and shows no capacity loss at all for 60GB but that is a pretty small data size also.

The logs also show a failed drive assessment test but 'overwrite' was disabled and it was a single test with the same tape that shows the problems elsewhere so that is inconclusive.

For the most recent small write it is hard to say too much but none of the parameters measured reported good quality.  That is most consistent with a dirty head, stained head, or worn-out head.  If the head is stained a single clean won't be enough - it takes several cleans.

The only useful data in this ticket was all from the same tape.  This could indicate an issue with that tape but with just data from one tape it isn't possible to tell.  Do you see the same problem with multiple tapes?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SerjioTT
Occasional Advisor

Thank for your posts!

I installed LTT 4.16

I clean the drive about 10 times then I made a few R/W tests and Dev Perf with 2:1 and zero compression. It took 40 hours for 32Gb !

So I need to replace the drive?!

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I reviewed the log file you attached and it is showing poor performance in all of the channels on the head.  Since you cleaned it well and it is still showing poor performance across the head that means that somehow the head has been worn out, been damaged, or otherwise failed.

Nothing I can think of at this point except replacing the drive.  Sorry.