3302 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 2 MSL 5000 Tape Library

Mikecl
Advisor

Ultrium 2 MSL 5000 Tape Library

Hi,

We have a tape library with a single Ultrium 1 drive installed, we have a proliant server with an Ultrium 2 internal drive fitted.

Can we move the Ultrium 2 to the tape library, will it physically fit, will it work ok, are there any configuration changes to make it work correctly.
I was thinking we could remove the Ultrium 1 from the Tape library carrier and replaced it with the Ultrium 2 Drive?
8 REPLIES 8
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 2 MSL 5000 Tape Library

Mike,

If the built-in Ultrium2 drive has the same dimensions as the Ultrium 1 drive in the MSL library, the swapping of the drives should work.

So remove then and see if it fits, that is the fastest way to see if it works. I haven't done such a thing myself yet, but except other dimensisons I don,t see any issues.

best regards,
Kurt
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure you will have success, the FW is different as the library one should communicate internaly with the library, and the stand alone do not.
They have a so called different personality, and the personality is what the FW look at when you try to change it.
So you will not able to change the firmware from two differents personalities

marino
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Physically the U2 drive should fit.
To get around the multiple personalities you can create separate virtual libraries to handle the different drive types.

To create the virtual libraries, this depends on the backup application you are using
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

I'd reckon it'd work. The library's unlikely to throw any non-standard SCSI command at the drive, so that shouldn't be a problem. Main thing I see as a possible issue is the SCSI type - LVD/HVD etc. If this matches, I think you'll be fine (even if unsupported).
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Main thing I see as a possible issue is the SCSI type - LVD/HVD etc.

HP LTO2 is only LVD. The MSL library only used LVD, so there is no issue there.

The drives do use different firmware images (standalone verses the library embedded drive), although the code is most likely very similar. You cannot change from one personality to another, so that the biggest potential problem. No guarantee the standalone code will respond correctly to the commands from the library across the serial interface.
The journey IS the reward.
Mikecl
Advisor

I swapped the drive, the library now things there is no drive installed It recognises the original drive is no longer installed. The library says the drive is initialzing. I cant see the drive in Tape tools.
Any ideas?
Mikecl
Advisor

Hi all,

Is there a replacement drive/part number for a Ultrium2 drive on our MSL5xxx tape library. A reseller says you cant fit an ultrium2 drive to the library is this true? I was sure I saw mention in one of the docs that it was ok?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Sure,

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11966_div/11966_div.HTML

Upgrade Accessories
MSL5000 LTO Ultrium 230 upgrade drive

301901-B21
MSL Ultrium 460 upgrade drive

NOTE: The MSL Ultrium 460 upgrade drives (330729-B21) are intended to be used to field upgrade MSL5060 libraries to Ultrium 460. If this is a new installation, and Ultrium 460 is desired, please purchase an MSL6060.
NOTE: One drive per SCSI bus.

AD605A
HP MSL6000 Ultrium 960 Drive

NOTE: For use in upgrading installed MSL5000 and MSL6000 Ultrium libraries. If this is an upgrade and going into a FC configuration, please ensure an e1200-160 is used with the Ultrium 960 tape drives. Please reference the Business Class Library Upgrade Matrix for complete upgrade requirements at: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tapecompatibility.htm

marino