3774 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 215 100/200GB - frequently ejects tape

David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Ultrium 215 100/200GB - frequently ejects tape

Hi,

I have a customer with a rack server from the brand pointer in Belgium (uses intel MB).
I installed an internal HP Ultrium 100/200GB SCSI tape drive.

Each morning a user replaces the tape, but he has to put it back in maybe 3 to 6 times before it remains in the drive. The first few times the tape inserts, but the top led (ready) keeps flashing and after about 60-90seconds the tape is ejected. This repeats every day approximately 3 to 6 times until it is finally accepted.
The tapes are genuine HP ones, 100/200GB, and the firmware is up-to-date according to HP LTT.

Fortunately the back-up procedure (NTbackup) completes every night, but it is a cumbersome process to insert the tape each day.

Anyone who can help me with this?
6 REPLIES 6
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

David,

Sounds a lot like a dodgy tape drive. In the first instance I would clean it (but you probably already have), if this does not clean it, I would have it replaced by HP under warranty.
It seems it is not catching the beginning of the tape or cannot find the beginning of tape (BOT) marker.

Regards,

JASH
If I can, I will!
Magesh G

Hi David,

Probably there is some problem with one of the BOT Sensors in your Ultrium 215 drive.

Try Replacing the drive if it is under Warranty else try cleaning any visible dust near the front panel door of the Ultrium drive .

Regards,
Magesh.G
David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Hi

just wanted keep you uptodate & thank you both for the time you put responding to my Q.
I had HP send me 2 tape drives because the 1st replacement had the same issue. In the end I noticed the fan of the PSU wasn't working so I replaced it. Most likely the heat inside the server was the problem because since I replaced the PSU it works perfectly.

David
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

This is a good example where if you had used L&TT this will probably been reported, the LTO drive have some temperature sensore inside, and these sensor have threshold that report the problem in LTT

My suggestion is to always use LTT for diagnostic purpose

Marino
David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Well actually I did have LTT installed and I sent it (the report) to the HP support person but I guess it was ok. I just checked the old LTT report and there is a few degrees difference with the new report. In the old temperature I can see the temperature used to be just a little bit higher.

I attached both the old & new report here, maybe you can check it out?
It isn't really important anymore since it works now, but I'm curious now since even the old report said the temperature margin was good.

thx

David
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It really was a temperature problem, your ticket is reporting a value of 73.2 C - "Warning, above maximum"

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!