1752782 Members
6055 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 215 cant load tapes after a backup job, ejects always

Baur Marcel

Ultrium 215 cant load tapes after a backup job, ejects always

Hi

i have a problem with an Ultrium 215 internal Tape. Its connected on a Adaptec 19160 and the only drive whitch is installed. I use Arcserve 11 as backup software.

The cardridge will ejected always....i checked it with a few other tapes ..same error..

After a cold boot sometimes it works a day or 2.

The tape was replaced by HP and we have the same problems again. I made also a firmware upgrade on the first tape..doesnt help

Does anybody have an idea?

Regards

M.Baur
7 REPLIES 7
Baur Marcel

i forgot its in a Windows 2003 Server

Marcel
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Whats your issue here? If it is "tape being ejected after a backup is complete" then this can be fixed by changing Arcserve backup options.

Or is it that the drive never accepts tapes and always ejects them when you insert them?

Some more details on your exact problem and possibly information about your tapes would be help.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Baur Marcel

thats not the problem, reload the tape for the next day is not possible!

I talked with Adaptec and they told me the Adaptec 19160 is not supported for Windows 2003 Server.

I will buy an 29160N, replace is and tehn we will see

i`ll let know what happens ;-)

Marcel
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Ok :)

You can try downloading our tape exerciser and diagnostic tool LTT from hp.com if you have further problems, by all means use it to generate a support ticket, zip it up and attach it to a reply here and ill look through it and see if I can understand your issue better.

LTT link below, choose your OS
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=28874&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42915

We also have a good trouble shooting guide at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00036113&locale=en_US

you might want to look through.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Baur Marcel

OK, now i replaced the Scsi controller as subscribed. I installend a 29160N (whitch is w2k3 certified) and we have the same problem.....

one backup job has finished, and the customer tried to put in the new tape for the next day...and it ejects immidiatly..

any ideas? we replaced the tapes, tape drive and the controller...

Regards

M.Baur
Martin Belanger

Hi,

We have the same problem, the thing are worst since we upgraded to windows 2000

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Baur Marcel

Hi

i made another test after i updatet the following parts: Adaptec Drivers, Tape Drivers (HP), Arcserve 11, Firmware Ultrium 215

and in the test its reported that the drive is too hot

Is this the main problem? Last time i made the test it wasnt too hot...

Regards

M.Baur