StoreEver Tape Storage
1745829 Members
4046 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 215 ejects tape immediately / cleaning cart stuck

Todd Baker_1

Ultrium 215 ejects tape immediately / cleaning cart stuck

I have two problems with my new Ultrium 215.

1) If I put in the data tape that was included with the drive, the drive reads the tape for about 10 seconds then ejects it.

2) If I put in the cleaning tape I got with the drive, the drive reads/cleans for about 10 seconds, stops and keeps the tape indefinately. The eject button does not work, including holding it down for an emergency eject. During this time the Ready and Use Cleaning Cart. lights are on but I hear no activity from the drive. The only way I can get the tape out is to power down the server and press eject during bootup.

Very strange stuff, could it be a faulty drive?

Thanks,
Todd
3 REPLIES 3
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ultrium 215 ejects tape immediately / cleaning cart stuck

If the drive ejects the data tape right away, it could be that data tape has a physical problem. Look inside the sliding flap at the edge of the data cartridge and check that you can see a silver/white pin held securely by small springs at the top and the bottom. The drive will refuse to load it if the pin is missing or not in the right place. If that is OK, then it might be a problem with the cartridge memory tranceiver, and that might explain the cleaning cartridge problem too. You should reset the drive by inserting a bent paper clip into the small hole at the front (near the LEDs) rather than power cyccling the server.
Todd Baker_1

I looked at the data cartridge, the pin seems to be securely in there.

As for the memory transnceiver, in the manual it says when there are problems with it you should put the tape in the drive write protected and then discard the tape after getting your data off. I tried doing so, same problem.

Thanks for the tip on the paper clip.. I didn't even notice that hole there. I tried resetting a few times with both cartridges.. still having problems.
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

If you have checked the obvious things like stray pin, and you are sure that the media hasn't been damaged (by dropping or de-gaussing), then it must be a bad drive and you need to contact HP support to get the drive exchanged.