1752773 Members
5135 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 230 Tape Drive

Harry Deveraux

Ultrium 230 Tape Drive

HI,

I have what appears to be a problem with my drive. It does not appear to be backing up to its full capacity of 100 GB and compression does not appear to be working. I have run the Library Tools and compression test passes with 2.62:1 ratio. However, the compression seems to be disabled internally. Is there an internal setting?

I am running Window 2000 Server SP3 and using ntbackup as my backup software.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest version and update the tape driver. Prior to doing this the system seemed to be working.

Can anyone help me.

Regards

Harry
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 230 Tape Drive

Harry,
LTT runs compression test using its specially generated data.
Please make sure you're backing up non-compressed files. If they're already compressed, then LTO will automatically turn off its hardware compression and you will be able to store 100GB max only
Eugeny
Barrie Evans_1
Advisor

Harry,

Can you post a Library and TapeTools Support Ticket for the drive on this forum. I will then take a look and see if there is anything that could cause a capacity loss.

Also, can you confirm if you have been using this drive previously (and if so, whether you think you have been achieving full capacity), or whether this is the first time that you have used the drive?

Best regards,
Barrie
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I would suggest to check if your drive is working in streaming mode, as it is a hight speed device you should be a ble to send data at the correct throughput or you will whorse your unit and loose space on cartridges.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460#P180_15521