New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 230e and rp5470

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Ultrium 230e and rp5470

Hi,
we've installed an HP Ultrium 230e on a HP rp5470-box with HP-UX 11.11 and after connecting and rebooting, we don't see any tape devices with iocan -f.
All kernel drivers are loaded correctly.
We use a PCI Ultra 160 Adapter (HP-Part# A6828A) to connect the tape drive.
Any hints?
8 REPLIES 8
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Did you install the PCI card correctly? Ioscan should show the card as claimed.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

We bought this server with the Ultra-160-Card included.

Meanwhile, I checked some docs and the hardware again and now I think, it's not the Ultra-160-controller where the tape is attached, it's the SCSI-II-controller. It's a 68-pin-SCSI-Connector. I think, the Ulta-160-Cconnector is the smaller one with the terminator on it.

However, every controller is shown as "claimed" in ioscan. I've uploaded my ioscan-results.

I tried some more cables, I have changed the SCSI-ID and booted the box -- but I still can't find the tape in ioscan.
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

OK, now I got it. After reading more docs and specs, I think I know where this tape drive is attached. It's a additionally configured (by HP) controller, HP Part# 4800A, "FWD SCSI-2 Card" (Hardware-Path: 0/3/0/0, can be seen on the ioscan at my last message).

All other controllers have VHD-connectors and this controller is the only one with HD-64-pin-connectors.

This device is marked as "claimed" in ioscan, but no tape drive is recognozed by the system. There's something I'm doing wrong -- but what?

Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Here's a guess for you: is your tape drive LVD? The 0/3/0 device is HVD. LVD devices don't work on HVD busses, as I recall. Try putting the tape drive on the LVD adapter.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

A4800A is HVD. Is your Ultroum drive HVD or LVD? If it's LVD, there's no way it could work on that card.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your answers!

OK, this seems to be right. All other controllers have VeryHighDensity-connectors, so I am not able not plug in the tape drive without an adaptor.

I will check if it's possible to get this thing at HP. Does anybody know a part number...?

Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

You can order the VHD to HD 68-pin SCSI cable. That's the C7482A.

You can connect it to the onboard SCSI connector on the rp5470 or on the SCSI 3 card you have.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Kay Liesenfeld
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your help -- I've ordered the cable you suggested. Have a nice weekend!