1745795 Members
3406 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 232 and DP express u1 extremely slow and never backed up

Acd2005
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 232 and DP express u1 extremely slow and never backed up

I have a setup of an HP ML350G6 with an HP Ultrium 232 tape drive connected via a HP SC11Xe HBA.
The server is running vmware esxi 4.0 and the vm I am running is on a Microsoft Windows 2003r2 sp2 with exchange 2003 and I would like to backup this server using dataprotector express 4.0 u1. I have loaded hpl&tt and the server detects the tape as ultrium 1-scsi. However when I try to backup it seems like it takes forever to recognize the media which is a 200gb ultrium 2 tape and has never worked. Any advice on how to sort this out will be appreciated. Thanks. Have attached the L&tt tape logs.
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 232 and DP express u1 extremely slow and never backed up

O never used it under vmware, but a quick look at the result of that ticket shows you are full of scsi bus reset and the negotiation of the communication is Narrow.
I would suspect a issue with the cable or terminator
Acd2005
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ultrium 232 and DP express u1 extremely slow and never backed up

Let me add some more info which might point us in the right direction. I pulled this tape, cable from this server and connected it on another server which did not have esx loaded but was having windows 2003 sp2 and it worked well doing backups without any issues. So we can eliminate the cable issue.

I had also updated the esx server to the latest patch release which is now u2 and firmwares on the tape was checked and was found to be the latest.