StoreEver Tape Storage
1751726 Members
6000 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ultrium 448 -- clean and tape lights go off after cleaning but soon come on again

Colin Parrott

Ultrium 448 -- clean and tape lights go off after cleaning but soon come on again

1. Yesterday (4 Jan 2008), the "clean" and "tape" lights were flashing following a failed backup attempt.

2. The backup tape cartridge was ejected.

3. The cleaning tape was inserted. After a few minutes, the "clean" and "tape" lights went out, the "ready" light came on steady, and the cleaning tape ejected itself.

4. The backup tape cartridge was re-inserted.

5. The Backup Utility for Windows displayed a message to the effect that the media was not recognised and invited me to make it recognisable. I answered yes to this.

6. After about 5 to 10 minutes the "clean" and "tape" light again started flashing.

7. Steps 2 to 6 were repeated about half a dozen times with this tape cartridge.

8. Steps 2 to 6 were repeated about half a dozen times with a different tape cartridge.

9. Both tape cartridges and the cleaning cartridge are relatively unused and have been stored in favourable conditions. To my knowledge, yesterday was the first time the cleaning cartridge had been used.

10. Attached is a support ticket -- not the earliest or the latest. After the problem first appeared, I obtained a support ticket that indicated that firmware and the driver need updating. This was done. I am working remotely from the server and am unable to observe the light status or use the cleaning tape until next Tuesday (7 Jan) or Wednesday (9 Jan).

What is happening? Is there a fault with the drive, the backup tape cartridge(s), the cleaning tape, or something else?
1 REPLY 1
Guido Elia
Frequent Advisor

Re: Ultrium 448 -- clean and tape lights go off after cleaning but soon come on again

You may remotely take a backup of a small amount of files and have a look to windows event viewer.
I think the unity need service