4389 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 448 not accepting tapes, all leds blink

SOLVED
Go to solution
bigk_1

Ultrium 448 not accepting tapes, all leds blink

We have an internal HP Storageworks 448 tape drive. A cleaning tape was inserted into the tape drive. After about 3-5 minutes of cleaning it ejected and now all leds flash on the tape drive (incl "ready") and it won't accept any tapes anymore.

If i reset the drive (push eject button for 20 seconds or reboot the entire server), only the "clean" and "drive" leds blink, ready is on. At this point i'm able to insert a tape, but after 30 seconds or so it ejects it and eats it again. This behaviour goes on for about 5 minutes. After that the tapes stays ejected and all leds on the drive blink. Then it won't accept any tapes anymore until i reset it again.

I installed the library and tape tools and when i perform a health check, it says "a problem is occuring when push loading a tape, if this drive is part of a library, the library may be faulty..."
I'm unable to run the Drive assessement test because it won't hold a tape cartridge (tried several).

Does anyone got any ideas? Could this be a dead drive?

Thank you,
Ken
4 REPLIES 4
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Ultrium 448 not accepting tapes, all leds blink

You might try upgrading the firmware for the tape drive.
It might be caused by a corrupted firmware, but if after this you keep experiencing the same issue, you should call tech support for a replacement of it.
bigk_1

I forgot to mention that i already upgraded the firmware to the latest version. The behaviour stayed the same after the upgrade.
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Ok, try to reflash the firmware and before inserting the tape try to run the support ticket, not the drive assessment but get a support ticket and log a call with our tech support so check that drive. I will suspect the drive is asking for replacement.
bigk_1

Ok, i will try to reflash the drive this week.