4775 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 460 problems

Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 460 problems

Hello,

I have an Ultrium 460 drive which has Drive and Tape error LEDs flashing all the time. I tried to reset the drive power on/off but nothing.

I attached the support ticket. Can someone tell me what I can do to fix it? I tried to upgrade firmware but is not working and also the L&TT is in restricted mode.
8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The drive is reporting hardware problems. Try to power cycle. If doesn't help, consider to get the drive replaced.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

I power cycled many times but nothing. I know the drive reports hardware problems. It is written in support ticket that it has some EEPROM calibration errors. I wanted a more technical answer. Sorry for this but it seems to be an electronics issue. I need to erase or rewrite the data to EEPROM.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Most of the times this is a mechanical problem inside the tape drive. There is nothing you can do ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

I don't know too many things about the mechanics of the tape drive but I can see in the support ticket that it has problems with EEPROM where probably is stored the calibration data. EEPROM problems doesn't sound to be a mechanical problem in my opinion.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What if the drive wants to calibrate but the head doesn't move?

Some lines in the ticket are assumptions (likely reasons) only.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

I opened the drive (out of warranty anyway) and compared it with a good one and I cannot see anything broken inside. If I put a tape in drive it loads it okay and also the eject is working fine.

The problem is the POST failure error. Immediately after power on the drive it goes to POST failure. Practically you cannot do anything with it.

I was wondering how can I force a firmware upgrade. It must be a tool to do this. Or something like a software reset tool for the tape drives.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

All the public available tools needs an online status of the drives in order to do an upgrade.

However, I don't think this would solve the issue.

Most of the times mechanical parts are just worn out or cannot properly move because of dust inside bearings etc ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If the ticket says EEPROM error then that is exactly what the problem is, not a mechanical error. That means that the memory test for the EEPROM failed and the drive will not work unless that test passes.

The only thing you can try is upgrading firmware which it sounds like you have already tried. L&TT will allow a firmware download in restricted mode if the drive will accept it.

It is likely that the EEPROM chip in the drive has failed and no update or other settings change will correct it. I can't recall the last time I saw a correctable EEPROM error.