1753833 Members
8142 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ultrium 920 SAS internal tape drive (EH847A) connecting to the Dell server

bris1129

Ultrium 920 SAS internal tape drive (EH847A) connecting to the Dell server

Hi!

I am new to SAS Technology so can someone please help me out.

I have a hp storageworks ultrium 920 sas internal tape drive (EH847A), PN EH847-60010, which i want to connect to  Dell PowerEdge T100 tower server.

My question is can i use a Dell UCS-61 PCI SAS 6/iR RAID Controller Card to connect the tape drive to the Dell server? Also what SAS HBA can i use to install the tape drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: Ultrium 920 SAS internal tape drive (EH847A) connecting to the Dell server

It is unlikely that the Dell RAID controller will work with a SAS tape drive.  HP added quite a bit of special code to the SmartArray controllers for support of tape drives on the HP SmartArray RAID controllers.

For non-HP servers HP qualifies the LTO tape drives on an LSI controller for use in HP Workstations so LSI controllers should work well.  I've heard a number of customers also report using ATTO controllers with good success.

The official support matrix is at http://www.hp.com/go/ebs and look for the EBS Compatibility matrix.  It looks like the June 2014 version lists the LSI 9212-4i4e.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo