1748021 Members
4917 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 920 Tape Drive Not Appearing in ARCserve

Duncan Aynsley
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 920 Tape Drive Not Appearing in ARCserve

Has anyone encountered the following problem before?

Server: Proliant DL380 G5 with SC11Xe SCSI controller fitted. StorageWorks Ultrium 920 drive is fitted in external unit.
O/S: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 SP2 (Removable Storage service disabled)
Software: BrightStor ARCserve 11.5 SP3 with Device Support Update 12

Problem encountered: The tape unit and SCSI card appear in Windows Device Manager (the SCSI card appears as an LSI card). The SCSI card is listed under Device Manager in ARCserve; but the tape drive does not appear. The tape drive does appear under the "Destinations" tab when the backup wizard is run; and also appears when Device Group Configuration is run.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

try disabling the tape drive from the device manager and rescan for devices from ArcServe
frank vandebergh
Frequent Advisor

I've had the same problem using a new ML350 G5 and the same SC11Xe SCSI controller, under Arcserve 11.1 SP2.

What helped me was downloading the driver from the LSI website, then reboot after install. Arcserve Device manager immediately saw the tape unit. Good Luck!

On the LSI website you'll need to look for 'Storage' in the downloads section, and then 'Host Bus Adapters' -> 'SCSI HBA's' -> 'LSIU320'
I downloaded the Win 2003 32-bit 1.21.25.0 driver.
Duncan Aynsley
Occasional Advisor

After some more extensive testing, it would seem that the problem is related to the P800 SAS controller in some of the servers.

With the P800 controller the tape units are not visible within ARCserve Device Manager.

Without the P800 controller the drives are lists; although they are sometimes listes as USB, other times as connected to an unidentified controller.
Duncan Aynsley
Occasional Advisor

After some more extensive testing, it would seem that the problem is related to the P800 SAS controller in some of the servers.

With the P800 controller the tape units are not visible within ARCserve Device Manager.

Without the P800 controller the drives are lists; although they are sometimes listed as USB, other times as connected to an unidentified controller.
Duncan Aynsley
Occasional Advisor

Having done some more testing, I have come up with the following findings:

1. With Windows 2003 SP1 only installed, all the devices appear OK (listed connected to LSI SCSI adaptors and disk devices also visible).

2. Install Windows 2003 SP2 and that's when things start going missing (disk devices not listed, tape drives connected to USB(?) or not listed at all).

3. CA sent me 3 replacement DLLs (changer.dll, tapeeng.dll and tsi.dll). Although not all adaptors are "labelled" within ARCserve, the tape drives now appear correctly connected to an LSI SCSI card.
Enrique De La Cruz

I have the same problem, but I have a different storage works

Server: Proliant DL380 G5 with SC11Xe SCSI controller fitted. StorageWorks MSL5000 Series drive is fitted in external unit.
O/S: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 SP2
Software: BrightStor ARCserve 9.0

Problem encountered: The tape unit and SCSI card appear in Windows Device Manager (the SCSI card appears as an LSI card). The SCSI card is listed under Device Manager in ARCserve; but the tape drive does not appear. The tape drive does appear under the "Destinations" tab when the backup wizard is run; and also appears when Device Group Configuration is run.

Could you send me the dll files that CA gave you??

If is possible could you send me the solution?

Please
Best Regards
Amedeo Pedrozzi

Hey Duncan,

I think I have the same Problem, I know your topic is old but can you send me the solution with the answer from CA?

Greetings
Amedeo
Nikolai Ivanov

Gents,
Faced with same problem, does anybody found a solution?