StoreEver Tape Storage
1753667 Members
5604 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 920 internal SCSI

JF Pouliot

Ultrium 920 internal SCSI

Can anybody tell me if the Ultrium 920 internal tape drive is compatible with the Proliant ML 350 G3 server using the SCSI interface. I can't seem to be able to have it detected at bootup by the SCSI controller and one HP tech has told us that this tape is not compatible with the G3 and we will need to use an Ultrium 960 instead.

Thanks !
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

don't use the on board SCSI controller. Purchase a separate SCSI controller and it will work
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
JF Pouliot

Thanks !

We did just that and installed the SCSI controller recommanded by HP and it still won't detect the tape drive... I will test the drive on a G4 we have at another site to be sure the drive works.
Guido Elia
Frequent Advisor

Did you install the Ultrium drivers ?
JF Pouliot

Sorry but I can't install any drivers... The drive is not even detected by the controller, let alone the OS...
meloni
Honored Contributor

looks like you may have a bad cable, remember that for an internal tape drive, you need a terminated cable. Double check for bend/broken pins on all the connectors of the cable, even those not connected if it is a multi connector cable
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
JF Pouliot

Just tried the drive on another server (Proliant ML350 G4) on which there is a DLT 40/80 tape that was running flawlessly and the onboard LSI controller will not detect the drive at all... Put back the 40/80 and voil├Г  !! There it is !!! Think that it,s starting to look like a bad tape drive altought it's brand new and coming out of the box...
JF Pouliot

So now !! What should I do ? Should I do as HP says and change the drive for a 960 and pay the $500+ premium for the change ? I'm still convinced that the drive should normally work on a ML350 G4 using the onboard LSI controller. What is the main difference besides the data transfer speed between the SCSI 920 and the 960 ? The other specs are pretty much alike and I wonder why a 960 will work where a 920 does not...
Guido Elia
Frequent Advisor

If the 920 is gone let HP replace it without upgrading the model