5454 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 960 SCSI problem

hans albers
Advisor

Ultrium 960 SCSI problem

Hi Guys,

I have the above mentioned device and run the drive assessment test some times. Sometimes, the result was "The drive is no longer recommended for use.", sometimes "The test has PASSED and the drive is GOOD.". I am running SLES9, the device uses G64D firmware and the backup fails (Backup error message from osb is "Can't read mount data for lto3 - line too long).
As there are also errors from ltt (Drive assessment test V18.02.2011), i assume that the error is related to the tape(drive). Any idea for further investigation would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for reading and answering
7 REPLIES 7

Is it possible for you to share the L&TT log with us along with the drive assessment test results?

It seems to be tape drive issue but will tell you after seeing the support ticket.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
hans albers
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Attached you will find a compressed directory with some reports from different runs of the Drive Assessment Test and the last log (related to report LTO Drive Assessment Test.201105081750.txt).

Thank you for reading and answering.
hans albers
Advisor

Also, i have some files from /tmp.(i am sorry to say that the given name for the support ticket was not available)
hans albers
Advisor

Sorry, this was an error from my side. Attached you will find the ticket.

I have analyzed the support ticket and found the following,
|__ Device Analysis : Passed with Warnings
||__ version: V14.09.2010
||__ Firmware rev G64D is out-of-date for Ultrium 3-SCSI as of Tue Jan 8 19:00:00 2008; update to rev G66D.
||__ Rule 15:
||__ This drive has shown signs of going off track during writing with cartridge serial number E79NAFV412.
||__ Please try another cartridge. If the problem reoccurs with another cartridge, then please contact HP support.
||__ hp recommends the use of hp storage media.
||__ There were 20 rules checked.
||__ Device Analysis completed, and warnings have been reported.

Seems to be firmware need to upgrade and after that try the following,

1. Stop Backup Software and all its services.

3. Open L&TT tool, select Hardware Scan & NT Miniport & click on continue

4. After the scan is complete, click on "by product" tab

5. Highlight the affected Drive & click on "test" button on top. The Tests screen opens with the Test Execution tab selected.

6. Select the checkbox next to the drive, Select "Device analysis" for device analysis test and select the checkbox next to the Drive for "Drive assessment Test" from the test group and click on the "start test" button.

7. Now click on the "Support" button on top & click on "Extract Device Data"

8. Click on "save support ticket"; select the appropriate location to save the report file

9. Send the saved Support ticket to me.

Note:- Please use a new blank tape cartridge as the Drive Assessment test is a destructive test and will delete any of the data on the tape cartridge.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
hans albers
Advisor

Hello,

I am sorry to say that i am not able to process a firmware update at the moment. Also, i am not quite sure that updating the firmware will change the result.
As i am working with sles9 without gui, i hope that the aim of your request will be satisfied if i finish the drive assessment test, afterwards choose support, than "extract device data" and than "save support ticket".

A blank new tape is not available at the moment - i have to choose a used one from march 2011.

Is there something else to say about this report except the outdated firmware?

1st step is to update the firmware and check.

2nd thing, as per below,
"||__ This drive has shown signs of going off track during writing with cartridge serial number E79NAFV412.
||__ Please try another cartridge. If the problem reoccurs with another cartridge, then please contact HP support."

Please change the cartridge E79NAFV412 and check.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo