1748181 Members
3819 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 960 on DL380 G4 NW6.5

SOLVED
Go to solution

Ultrium 960 on DL380 G4 NW6.5

I am running into alot of problems getting an LTO960 external connected to the HP/Adaptec SCSI HBA and the unsupported HP/LSI U320 HBA. Veritas keeps complaining about SCSI errors. I have replaced everything with the system, made sure the PSP and FW are completely up to date. Applied every NW patch and Veritas patch and am still getting the same thing. From what I see this seems to be a very common problem but no solutions are available to it that I have found.

PLEASE HELP!
10 REPLIES 10
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Which HP/Adaptec SCSI HBA did you try (HP PN would be nice).

Can you clarify what cables and terminators you are using? They both need to be U320 rated.

HP engineering
The journey IS the reward.

284688-B21 is the HBA. HP Cable that came with the external Drive. No external terminator is required the external enclsure.

Does the tape drive need a terminator?
If the tape drive is on a dedicated SCSI bus, it does not require a terminator. When the
cable is connected to the SCSI-IN connector, the enclosure provides active termination.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Does the tape drive need a terminator?

As you mention, the drive will auto-sense only a single cable on the lower port and automatically terminate, and therefore not require a terminator.

> 284688-B21 is the HBA.

From the go/connect website:

284688-B21 - Dual-Channel Ultra3 SCSI HBA *

*Please ensure the adpu160m.sys driver Version 6.1.640.100 or higher (available from www.compaq.com/support) is used in this configuration.

Which driver version do you have?

> HP Cable that came with the external Drive.

Do you have the part number from the cable and the length? The quickspecs only list the connection type (HD to VHDCI).

Can you install and run HP Library and Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools)? If you can, collecting a support ticket would be very useful, as it will show us the drive SCSI logs.

FYI, LTT on Windows provides a nice GUI. On netware it has a command shell interface. You would want to select the device, run the support tool ("support"), and then save the support ticket to a file.

Unfortunately I can't get HP Tape Tools on the box until at best Sunday as it is a very politically sensitive machine.

Adaptec Driver 1.8.3M (E)

Cable length is about 2M. I not at the servers location now but will provide the cable PN once I have. We have swapped with three different SCSI cables so we know it is not a bad SCSI cable.

Also, LTO 960 works perfectly in a Windows enviorment.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Thanks for the additional details. I understand the concern about installing the diagnostics, and needing to do that at a better time.

Also, thanks for the cabling info.

When you say that it works fine with Windows, is that one the same system and drive you are having the issues with, or on a different set of hardware?

Lastly, have you opened up a support case with HP yet? If so, I can use that to formally escalate this issue to the drive engineering team.

- dave
HP Engineering

I've had a case open for numerous days on this. I asked first level support to escalate me to engineering this morning, don't know if they did afetr about four transfers but I at least spoke with someone who seemed to know what they were doing and asked for a tape tools support ticket as well. I am actually trying to get tape tools installed this afternoon. Same type of system (dl380 G3), same FW revs, all HW that we have tried swapping between machines. I think this is either a NW6.5 or Veritas issue. Veritas has taken a hard line that a SCSI error is always HW. Even though everyone know it could be a driver issue.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Steve,

If you give me the case number, I can work on getting it escalated from the back-end.

Again, thanks for the additional info on the systems.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Case Number 3213172329