StoreEver Tape Storage
1752808 Members
5977 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium I Drive very slow after updating to BackupExec 9.1

Stefan Enz

Ultrium I Drive very slow after updating to BackupExec 9.1

Everything worked fine with our SureStore LTO Autoloader 1/9 with Ultrium-I, attached to a dedicated u160 SCSI HostController on a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Veritas BackupExec 8.6.Data was transfered at about 1300 - 1500 MB/Minute.

After upgrading to BackupExec 9.1 transfer speed is only 50 to 100 MB/Minute. Nothing else has changed. I tried to uninstall and reinstall BE 9.1 but with same result.
Veritas support said, it's not their's problem, as the manufacturer may has a patch.

Who knows about this patch?
Any suggestions what the problem might be?
6 REPLIES 6
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium I Drive very slow after updating to BackupExec 9.1

Where did you obtain the SureStore LTO? Contact the vendor who supplied it.

Although it looks highly suspicious that BackupExec was updated and that caused the problem, this might be an issue where the firmware of the tape drive needs to be updated.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Check the block size BackupExec is using. Sometimes, it is set to a very small amount. Change it to at least 32K.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Stefan Enz

The autoloader and the LTO drive is already updatet through the HP L&TT tool with the latest firmware.

The block size is set on default at 64k.

There is a compatibility problem!

In the meantime I downgraded to BackupExec 8.6 and everything works fine with maximum throughput at about 1700 MB/Minute as before...

Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Hi,

H'rs the patch you needed if ever you reinstall 9.1.

Tape devices:
BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_265501.exe or latest (see www.support.veritas.com)

Few advices:
-if your utilizing Open File Option (under 9.1) kindly disable temporarily, then make a local (flat files or not in use) backup job.If the issue goes away, then you have to install patches for open file option also.

-if you have 9.0 buid 4454, you can try this also (same license from 9.1)providing with latest pathes.

Regards,
@@,?

"You should be working"
Stefan Enz

Hi Allan

thanks for your suggestions.
I already installed that Veritas Device Driver Patch you mentioned, without success.
Also tried Veritas AutoUpdate

I disabled the open file option as well and made the tests out of business hours.

In the meantime I re-installed BackupExec 8.6 and the throughput is as before. The problem only exists with BE 9.1

Any further suggestions are truly welcome...
Stefan Enz

Problem solved.
Flash Bios of the dedicated Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller updated to the latest version and it work, even with BE 9.1