StoreEver Tape Storage
1753556 Members
5666 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Ultrium SCSI compatibility

Park Wiker

Ultrium SCSI compatibility

I have 2 Ultrium 230's in a tape array 5500. One drive connected to a compaq 3000 with an ultra wide scsi II interface. Works fine. Very fast.

The other I have attempted to connect to a DL360 with ultra160 controller (tape drive only port). The drive is not even showing up in the scan of SCSI devices. There are not a whole lot of adjustments you can make in the on-board controller on the compaq. Therefore, I attempted to connect it to a DL380 with the same setup. Not recognized. If I remove the integrated array module from the server, I have a setting that can be changed for negotiation from Auto to SCSI II or SCSI I. Switched to SCSI II and the device shows up. So I think that it is a limitation in the built in SCSI card on the 360 and 380. I purchase an Adaptec 39160. The tape drive is not recognized on this either. I work with adaptec and make settings changes from 160 wide all the way to narrow async ( i tried 2 different 39160's mixed and matched with different servers/pc's). disconnect on/off etc etc. No change. Tape drive is still not recognized in the BIOS scan (or the operating system of course). By this time I am thinking that maybe the drive is bad. I daisychain the second drive to the first and reboot the compaq 3000. Both drives are seen and work. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that there is a Problem with the drives that does not allow them to communicate on any "newer" SCSI card.

Question: Why? and what is the solution? Using out of production SCSI cards is not acceptable.
1 REPLY 1
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium SCSI compatibility

Hi there.
If you install two SCSI interfaces, try to disable the BIOS on one of them.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"