5136 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium error

ziad_1
Frequent Advisor

Ultrium error

Hi ;
I have an Ultrium 215 array module 200GB (C7492A) connected to a scsi card A5149A PCI LVD ultra 2 scsi on a rp7400 system HP-UX 11.0 . an error occured in the EMS every 2 or 3 days , Ihave replaced the tape drive by a new one but the same error occured did someone have any solution for this problem please advise.you find attached the error that occured in the EMS.I don't know if a patch installation can solve the problem if yes can someone tell me which patches I need .
ziad
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Open a call with HP about the matter, and tell them that you already replaced the tape drive to no avail.

The other things which may be faulty are the SCSI cable, terminator and SCSI card A5149A.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
C.I.S
Frequent Advisor

I will try first to make upgrade firmware for the surestore I have searched the site hp.com/go/storagemedia/ultrium but i didn't found it for unix all are for windows system.can you advise.
ziad_1
Frequent Advisor

I have searched also the site and I have found the hp library and tape tools but not the firmware I hope someone can help me more for resolving this problem .
ziad
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

EMS is dangerours with the backups!

Usually you must to disable the monitorizacion of tapes disabling EMS on it. You have doc how to do this in the Ultrium manual

set kernel parameter st_ats_enabled to 0 and add the drivers schgr (picker) and stape (tape) to kernel if you didn??t have

upgrade the EMS with the last support plus
Teach is the best way to learn
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

Even if you don't have the HP-UX version of Library & Tape Tools (V2.8), you can use the same firmware files with Mesa STM or HP Library Support Tools.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

As suggested, disable the EMS monitoring. Attached is a document on how. There is no outage required.
Make sure you have the latest SCSI patches and their dependencies.

PHKL_18543
PHKL_27303
PHKL_27003

Anyone for a Mutiny ?