7458 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to Configure HP MSL5030 Tape library on Sul Solaris 8

Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

Unable to Configure HP MSL5030 Tape library on Sul Solaris 8

After greetings,

i am facing problem while configuring MSL5030 Tape Library on Sun Solaris box. library is connected through SAN Brocade switch, with JNI FC Card. i am using Veritas netbackup Datacenter 4.5 as backup software. whenever i try sgscan it only detects CD-ROM,Local Tape Drive and Dec HSG Controller (SAN Disk), its not detecting the Robot and tape drives. If i use JNI util ezscan i can see the tapelibrary and other devices. so what is the thing which i am missing. please help.....please send me the procedure to configure the same. Regards, Vijay Dogra
4 REPLIES 4
Matthew Darcy_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unable to Configure HP MSL5030 Tape library on Sul Solaris 8

Not sure if I understand this correctly.

Is the Tape library connected directly to the sun machine ? or is it connected to the Brocade switch - which is on a Fiber channel network with the Sun machine ?

Can the sun control the library from within the OS ? eg a simple test using mt ?
Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

the library is connecte to SAN through a Brocade Switch... there are 2 switch for route redundandy and zoning is done properly, my SUN server can access the SAN disk drives. it simply does not see the tapelibrary.
Jay Newman
Frequent Advisor

The behaviour you describe may happen if you define a change in zoning on the Brocade switch but neglect to enable the new configuration.
This would leave the Sun server still only seeing the devices it had prior to adding the tape library.

If you could give us the output of "zoneshow" on the switch along with whatever comments we need to understand where the Sun box, disk storage, and tape library are connected, we might be able to verify or rule this out.
Failing that, if you are 100 percent sure the zoning is correct, can you tell us whether the O/S has created the device files for the tape drives? If they are there, we can focus on Veritas issues. If not, you might want to schedule a reboot to see if the devices are properly discovered.

Also, is the Veritas license for the Sun server a Master, Media Server, or Client? In case you are new to this, Client licenses do not permit usage of local tape drives, but rather send data over the network to another host with a Master or Media Server license.
"Success is defined by getting up one more time than you fall down."
Vijay Dogra_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanx for replying...correct me may be i am wrong, there is no change in the zoning, i have tried the Ezconf util from JNI and it shows me the Tapelibrary with robot and tape drives. in this case do i have to do something with the st.conf file or fcaw.conf file, as the only place where the tape defition is, its in st.conf file and the defination of persistent bindings of wwpn number is in fcaw.conf file. so do i have to make some changes or something there. wiaitng for you reply,
regards
Vijay