3774 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to Eject Tape/Insert Tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zack P

Unable to Eject Tape/Insert Tape

I have a ML530 G2, with a Compaq DDS4 20/40 DAT Drive and BirghtStor back up software. The back ups work fine for a while then all of a sudden I will not be able to eject the tape, until a restart.

This time though I didn't restart the server, but held down the eject button for a extended period of time and was able to eject the tape, but now it will not accept a new tape.

Has anyone else run into this problem? This is happening at one of my school sites and the site administrator wants me to replace the tape drive, but I am not sure that the drive is the problem.
10 REPLIES 10
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

I can only share my HP-UX/DLT/Legato experience, but I've seen stuff like this happen when a SCSI card was going bad...

Good luck,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
It look like the tape drive is in reserved mode, when a backup software start a backup session, he usualy start sending a scsi code called "reserve" that will lock the drive and do not allow a eject from another application or from front pannel.
At the end of the backup, the "release" command is issued, and will free-up the drive.
When in reserved mode, the tape can be ejected only whith a power cycle of it or pushing for few second the eject button (will allow a force eject).

Probably the last backup do not succeed completely (may be cartridge is full or something went wrong) check the logs of your application for the traces
BR664511
Advisor

We have seen this problem with some of our customer drives. Is there any way to issue a software SCSI command (e.g. from another application - visual Basic) to release the 'reserve' command?

Regards,
Barry.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

If this is indeed a scsi reserve issue and not just a faulty drive and you are running on hp-ux, there are two commands you can use to release

mt -f /dev/rmt/?mn rel

or

st -f /dev/rmt/?mn -r
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> ... and you are running on hp-ux

As it's a ML530 G2, it will be Windows or Netware (or maybe linux).
The journey IS the reward.
Zack P

Thanks for all the great replys. The OS is Windows 2000.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Make sure Windows Removable Storage Manager is disabled (unless it is required for BrightStor), as it will attempt to manage the drives.

If that's not an issue, look in the configuratons for BrightStor and see if there's a setting for 'use Reserve/Release'.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

You had said:
> but now it will not accept a new tape.

Is that only true until you power-cycle?
Ron Sutton
Advisor

Go into BrightStor ARCserve's device manager, select the drive and right click. select eject. Then go to unit and manually eject media.

Software prevents accidental removal of media.