StoreEver Tape Storage

Unable to copy to LTO 8 tape despite having over 7TB of space left

Geminite
Occasional Visitor

Unable to copy to LTO 8 tape despite having over 7TB of space left

I have a HPE 30750 Tape Drive (BC023A).  I am using the supplied LTO-8 tape which I have formatted using the default settings with the HPE LTFS tape utility (under Windows 10).

Using the drag and drop approach (i.e. Windows Explorer), I have copied under 5TB of data so far but am unable to copy additional files as a result of errors pertaining to not having enough space. Checking the tape's properties in explorer reveals that there is still 7TB of free space available. How do I resolve this?

Another question: The files in question are audio formats (WAV) which should make them ideal candidates for compression. I have enabled compression via the formatting utility for the LTO-8 tape. Comparing files sizes between the source and the destination however, reveals the size of the files to be same. Is there a method of enabling hardware compression that I may have missed?

1 REPLY 1
NarayanKK-SO
HPE Pro

Re: Unable to copy to LTO 8 tape despite having over 7TB of space left

Hello,

Thank you for contacting HPE ..!!

Most media files are pre-compressed and applying compression on them may result in abnormal space occupancy. WAV files are pre-compressed files which may result in inflated chunks while trying to apply compression. Did we try backing up a regular data and test it ? 

Do test the device with regular data and update us with the results.

Thanks.

Accept or Kudo