1753518 Members
4955 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to search for device - Compaq 20/40GB -DDS4 tape drive

Law H H
Occasional Contributor

Unable to search for device - Compaq 20/40GB -DDS4 tape drive

I have a box running Novell Netware 4.2 SB and had a Internal Compaq 20/40GB DDS-4 tape drive installed as well.

I am facing the following issues;
- I type LIST DEVICES (Netware) the tape drive was detected and listed.

- I load SBACKUP to verify the tape drive existence and it returns an error indicating there are no tape drive found or the drivers was not install properly.

During the server POST, the tape drive was detected as well. I wonder what could be wrong here.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Haven't you try this before?

1. LOAD TAPEDAI
2. LOAD TSA410
3. LOAD TSANDS
4. LIST DEVICES
5. LOAD SBACKUP

regards,
@@,?
"You should be working"
Law H H
Occasional Contributor

Alan,

Thanks for the reply but I do have Veritas Backup Exec v9.0 installed and I believed that the mentioned files will be loaded by Veritas. Am I right?

Except for LOAD TAPEDAI, the LOAD TSA410 & LOAD TSANDS will be loaded by Veritas. Even now the Backup Exec was not able to detects the tape drive.

What could be the suspected fault now?

Thanks
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Those commands are more on native sbackup, I'm not sure if "unload nwtape.nlm" also support with netware 4.2 (coz I only tried this under under 5.0, 6.0 and 6.5 netware version for SBCON and Tapeware)Perhaps you may try this command and then rerun veritas device config.

Good Luck
@@,?

"You should be working"
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Also,

Have a look at this hardware compatibility:

http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists/device_ddProduct_BENWARE_media_all_prod1_NW90.htm

ISOLATION 2:
If your drive is not on the list, then try to use another trial backup software (preperably console based and not client based)such as tapeware 7.0 or 6.x.

Use "load TapeWare:install" to install tapeware.

You may find additional info. at www.tapeware.com (support)

ISOLATION 3:
Check if your drive can still be able to run under Windows based system (i.e NTbackup) that will tell you if your drive are still okay or not.

"You should be working"