StoreEver Tape Storage
1752473 Members
6767 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to see Internal CD or tape drive on K580 box.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

Unable to see Internal CD or tape drive on K580 box.

When I do a search for bootable devices I only see the internal disk. When I boot up all the way and do an ioscan on disk and tape, I don't see either one of my devices. What else can I do for further problem determination before I call HP support. Thx
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to see Internal CD or tape drive on K580 box.

Is the driver 'stape' loaded in your kernel? If not, the tape drive won't be detected.

What is the output of ioscan -funC disk? A cd-rom / dvd is found as a disk device.

Kurt
Murgesh_2
Advisor

how u r looking the disks?

did you run "ioscan -fnC disk".

Enjoy
Murgesh Mathad
Ed Segura
Frequent Advisor

Yes I have did the ioscan -funC disk and Tape and nothing for tape shows up and only the 4 internal disk. The driver is in the kernel.
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

First thing first;

You need to run ioscan -fnC disk (no U). This will run a physical check of your buses, not just what the kernel thinks you have.

It is possible that the SCSI connector has come loose inside the drive cage (or on the Backplane). It is also possible that your termination is messed up. It may even be a bad ribbon cable. Remember, the K-series are getting pretty long in the tooth now.

Lastly, on power-up, do the lights flash on either/both of those devices. If not, then there is probably no power to them. Check to make sure the power cables are plugged in at both ends. You might have to get a Voltmeter/Multimeter and check that you have voltage across the power contacts.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Ed.

First thing is to look at "ioscan -fn"
Could you post this output.
If the Kernel isn't recognising the device/s then using the "C" will not show them.
This will also be the case if they have now power or the SCSI cable is disconected/un-terminated etc.

If it shows as present but UnClaimed then look at the Kernel config for stape to add the DDS.
However, the CD-ROM should show up with the HDDs.
This one looks more like a power or SCSI issue. The output from "ioscan -fn" will help here. You are looking for unclaimed devices.
Both the DDS and CD-ROM should be connected to the Internal SE SCSI2 interface which is on the CORE/IO board.

Hope this helps.

Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.