New Discussion юеВ

Re: Update DLT7000 firmware. How?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kris Spander
Advisor

Update DLT7000 firmware. How?

Hello,

Yesterday I posted this thread on how to create a DLT firmware update tape.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=748608

I was able to verify the tape but when I insert it in my drive to be updated, the drive just does its routine activity. After a short period the orange "TAPE IN USE" LED comes on just like it does when a normal backup tape is in the drive. I don't think the drive recognizes my tape as a firmware update tape.
Are there any other steps necessary to create a firmware update tape?

TIA,
Kris
Dilbert is my hero.
10 REPLIES 10
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Do you have a part code for the DLT drive

Thanks
Sanjay
Kris Spander
Advisor

Thanks for thw quick response, Sanjay.

The DLT Library is an HP 6/100 Model No. A4846A. My HP DLT7000 drives are A4867A but the drive I bought on eBay is a Storagetek DLT7000 Part No. 313131209. It looks identical to my HP drive and works fine. I think Storagetek manufactures this library for HP. All of the DLT drives have Quantum Part No. TH6XF-TE tags on them.

Thanks,
Kris
Dilbert is my hero.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Part numbers don't matter. Essentially DLT7000's are DLT7000's and the firmware update process is the same. You are correct in that StorageTek did OEM this library for HP. Your 6/100 is a STK 9714 Timberwolf library and the parts are interchangable.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I had to check my notes but here's the procedure BUT I STILL THINK THIS IS DUMB.

1) Remove any media in the drive and then push the shuttle manually as though a tape were inserted.
2) Press the UNLOAD button and hold in down for 6-8 seconds until you see the "write protect" LED blinking.
3) Quickly release the UNLOAD button the press it again within a few seconds.
4) The "TAPE IN USE" and "WRITE PROTECT" LED's will blink indicating firmware update mode has been selected.
5) Operate the shuttle again so that the drive will accept a tape. Insert the firmware tape manually in the drive and operate the shuttle to load the tape.
6) The tape will whir and buzz a few minutes and then the "WRITE PROTECT" and "TAPE IN USE" LED's will flash alternately indicated update is in progress.
7) Do absolutely nothing until the "OPERATE HANDLE" LED is on indicating a good update. At that point, operate the shuttle to remove the tape.

Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Kris,

I think if you want to upgrade the firmware on the drive, you need to use some windows utility. For hp supported drives, you can use hp tapetools,

Here is a firmware release info for V109 for DLT 7000 on hp platform.

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000076083187

The itrc doc id is OT040120_CW01.

Make sure you know what you are doing. I would suggest that if the drive is working, do not worry about the firmware. You could mess things up over there. If it is possible to let a vendor do that, let them do it. You would get a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Regds
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I'll add one last point to the firmware update prrocedure. Make sure the library is powered by a UPS because once the LED's start flashing alternately (you can safely abort at any point before then), the firmware rewrite is underway. Any errors (like a power glitch) from that point on convert your drive into a paperweight.

Kris Spander
Advisor

Thanks guys. It worked and the firmware version is now 107 like my other drives. Clay, the DLT library was already on a UPS so that was not a problem.

Thanks,
Kris
Dilbert is my hero.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Content deleted - posted without reading the question carefully enough.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Well, since these units (HP A4846A 6/100) and StorageTek 9714 are totally unrelated, it is truly an amazing coincidence that the two units share the identical external dimensions, identical drive and slot limits, and partsurfer.hp.com shows a number of parts
for the A4846A with STK prefixes. By another amazing coincidence, the CAP and drive assemblys look identical.

I've actually purchased both of these units over the years and the only difference that I found between them was the price.