7710 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade Hp travan external 5 gb to 8 gb

CA1198775
Advisor

Upgrade Hp travan external 5 gb to 8 gb

Finally I have now received my new 8 gb unit
(firmware 2.02). I now have both the old 5gb (firmware 2.08) and the mentioned new one.
The 8 gb will NOT read my 5 gb tapes. (locks up, must boot). And the 5 gb (after upgrade
to 8 gb with firmware 2.08) will NOT accept
8 gb tapes (c4425). Whats going on ??
Can someone pls help ??? My hp software
is ver. 9.1, build LTO300B43A.

Regards
erik
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade Hp travan external 5 gb to 8 gb

Erik. A couple of things
When you say new you must mean new to you as the drive was discontinued in 2001. It should also have 2.08 firmware which can be found here. When you upgraded the 5gb did you have a new 8GB tape when you did it? The software would have asked for that and it's likey it hasn't been upgraded at all.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?taskID=135&pnameOID=12504&prodTypeId=12169&locale=en_USтМй=English+%28US%29&prodSeriesId=63937&swEnvOID=20#37
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA852051

Erik,

I read in one fo your posts that you were successful in upgrading a 5gb drive to 8gb with Windows Me. I did not quite follow the steps you took. I have the same problem in that the C4466-1800 CD I burned will not do anything when I run the setup.exe yet if I put the CD in my other computer running Windows 98, I can start the installation with setup.exe. Can you give me any advise on how you were able to run setup in Win Me?

Thank you,
Sam
CA1198775
Advisor

Sorry if I hav enot been clear in my other posts. I was successfull running under
win 95, NOT ME !!!!
Had to create a separate disk win win95,
and then run the procedure. When taking
the colorado back to a win me installation, it worked fine !

CA852051

Erik,
Thanks for your quick reply. If I understand you correctly you partitioned you hard drive, installed Win95, upgraded tape drive to 8gb, then reinstalled under Win Me.

Thank you
Sam
CA1198775
Advisor

I had a spare disk, installed win95 on it,
ran the colorado-upgrade with the win95 disk booted, then went back to the winme disk
and ran my backups as usual.
If you dont have a spare disk, why not
go to a friend who has win 95 or win 98
and do the upgrade on his machine ?
Best of luck

Erik

CA852051

Erik,

Thank you for your advice. I have my hard drive partitioned and have two OSs unfortunately both are Win Me. I will reformat the partition I don't use too often and install Win98 and do the upgrade from there. At least I won't have to remove and reinstall hardware.

Thanks again,
Sam
CA852051

Erik,

One more question - did you ever get your problem straightened out(the one that started this thread)?

Sam
CA1198775
Advisor

Yes, the question that started it all, is solved:

The original 8 gb had old firmware, ok after
upgrade.

The 5gb, I THOUHGT it was upgraded, but in fact it was not because I ran the win-update
and it does not work, although the colorado
shows firmware 2.08 afterwards. Was fooled there.

Erik