5301 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading drive in Autoloader

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Maynard

Upgrading drive in Autoloader

I have an HP autoloader that uses a DDS2 driver and would like to install a newer DDS3 or DDS4 tape drive.

Is this possible?
-Mike-
7 REPLIES 7
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading drive in Autoloader

Hi Mike,

What is the model of the autoloader you are currently using ?

Logically look's you cannot but if you say the model it could be more clear..

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Mike Maynard

This is the HP C1553A autoloader which uses the HP C1533A DDS-2 tape drive.

-Mike-
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Mike, How competent are you at taking things apart?. If your autoloader is not on maintenance then the drive, which is in the bottom of the autoloader could be replaced. A DDS3 is a C1537A. You will just need switch 3 off and then there are 4 screws that screw the tape in. If the autoloader is on maintenance I wouldn't do it. You could also probably get one on the 2nd hand market already with the appropriate drive in
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Mike Maynard

Malvin,

Thanks for the information. I'm quite competent with this type of upgrade and the drive has not been under maintenance for many years. This is on my home system. I was looking for confirmation that the project was feasible before proceeding with (as you suggested) acquiring a DDS3 or DDS4 drive on the used market.

Do you know if a stand-alone DDS3 drive will need a microcode update to work in the autoloader?

Thanks,
-Mike-
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that, I have a document that talks about the autoloaders and there is no mention about different firmware levels. If you mail me on malvind@tindirect.com, I can forward the document to you
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Mike Maynard

You have mail.
-Mike-
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure you will be able to use a stand alone drive in a DDS autoloader, and specialy doing an upgrade. Fw in new autoloader are dedicated and you cannot force it on a stand-alone unit
I cannot confirm you for early model with DDS2.

marino