New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading firmware using LTT 3.5 SR1 on HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Upgrading firmware using LTT 3.5 SR1 on HP-UX

1. Device does not show
I have 3 NSR E1200 devices on my SAN from an MSL6060, zoned appropriately, yet LTT cannot see more than one of them. The output gets more cumulatively skewed every time I start the tool. Output file attached.

2. Device Naming Standard
I try to add the missing devices using the "addHWpath" (or equivalent) using the device path from "ioscan -fn" of the device, which gets rejected as an invalid address. Is there another standard of addressing in operation here? The manuals do not seem to offer any elaboration on this standard.

3. LTT - Why?
From the more recent postings about firmware upgrades, it appears that LTT is now "the way" for firmware upgrades and should only be done "by qualified technicians etc etc etc". My question for HP is, "why?".

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Ian,

I'm not sure why the NSRs aren't shown from the data so far. For LTT to see the NSRs they have to have their management LUN turned on (i.e. must be visible as their own LUN on the SAN).

The device path LTT uses is derived but not identical to what's used by ioscan. The reason is that the instance id of the HBA needs to be noted for the device to be accessible. For the manual scan option (which I gather you tried to use) you can either use the correct path from a previous run of L&TT (not really applicalbe in your case), or any /dev file pointing to either a sctl, stape, or schgr (preferrably sctl though) based device node. So the option here would be to create a /dev file for the NSRs using mknod.

But before going down there, we can try to understand why your devices aren't seen. The best help would be to send us an ioscan -f output and the L&TT event log to ltt_team@hp.com.

As to your third point: L&TT is the official diagnostics tool for all tape, magneto optical drives, robotic libraries associated with them, and NSRs in in those libraries. It is intended for both end customer and field service use. On some functions we encourage them to be only used if you know what you're doing - either by having an HP technician do it for you, or talk you through on the phone. However, that is not a hard rule, and there are certainly very knowledgable customers out there who will do just fine on their own. From a tool perspective we have to give the proper warnings though.

Jan
L&TT Team
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Jan,

NSR E1200 User Guide alludes to LTT, but does not make any mention of the requirement for presenting a management LUN. There is also no mention of presenting any form of management device on the SAN that I recognise within this document.

Can you please elaborate on this management LUN that is presented, specifically what name it is given in the documentation and what menu option is used to change it? I have scanned my configuration on all 3 of my NSRs and they all appear to have the same configuration.

Thanks, Ian Dennison
Building a dumber user
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Jan,

I have just discussed with my co-worker, who has informed me we have an advisory from the HP SAN Competency stating the NSR controller device should NEVER be presented down the SAN, as HP-UX's kernel drivers cannot handle this.

I have enclosed my table from the one device that does have a Controller presented; is this what we are talking about?

FC LUN Protocol Bus Device Specific Address Type Status Device Description
0 PSCSI 0 Target= 3 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
1 PSCSI 1 Target= 4 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
2 AF Lun= 0 CTLR UP HP NS E1200-160

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user