1752631 Members
5776 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading from TL887 to MSL5026S2 on OpenVMS AXP

Brian Akey
Occasional Advisor

Upgrading from TL887 to MSL5026S2 on OpenVMS AXP

We are looking at upgrading our Tape Backup from a TZ887 (7 tape Library w/ a TZ88 Tape drive) to the MSL5026S2 Library with the 160/320 SDLT. We are running OpenVMS Alpha 7.2-2 on a AS 4100. We only use OpenVMS Backup, no 3rd party stuff and no EBS. Will I still be able to use the new SDLT drive the same way, or am I going to have to make some substantial changes to our backup methodology? Our current backup accesses the drive through VMS as a regular device (MKC500), will the new library will I still be able to see the device the same way and the Libary will do all the tape loading and unloading, etc? It seems like everything I read talks about using Enterprise Backup Solution, or Veritas or some other 3rd party application. Thanks in advance for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading from TL887 to MSL5026S2 on OpenVMS AXP

Brian:

I'm not sure about the VMS version, but assuming that you have the correct SCSI card to connect the tape library, you should not have any problems. I have used the same tape library in both a direct connect, and SAN attached fashions on VMS alphaservers running 7.3 and 7.3-1. We have also used it on IBM AIX systems.

Note: You can attach directly to an individual drive, or attach to the library controller module if you want to use the robotics. Either way should work for VMS.

Mike Naime
VMS SAN mechanic
Brian Akey
Occasional Advisor

Mike,

Thanks for the assurance I won't end up with something I can't use. However, at VMS will you still have the same type of device like an MKC500 or whatever it would be with the new SCSI card we're getting. Our backup script is pretty complicated and is actually our software vendors. If I have to get them involved to modify the backup they will charge us an arm and a leg. Maybe that is what you are saying I just want to be clear, so I don't spend about 20k and then have to spend more to have it work with our system. Also I assume then from your response that I would have a device for the drive and one for the loader. Do I need any specific patches or drivers installed, that you are aware of?
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Brian:

The direct attached showed up like any other direct attached SCSI drive. MKAx00. The fibre attached through the NSR is showing up as MGA1 and MGA2.

Mike
VMS SAN mechanic
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

No specific patches or drivers that I am aware of. You will want the FIBRE_SCSI patches if you are using SAN, but you may already have those applied. Another guy in our shop writes all of our backup scripts. I install/maintain the hardware for him.
VMS SAN mechanic
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

The tape library itself was showing up as $2$GGA0: at the end of SHO DEV. I guess that Field service did not change the ID from 0.

The MGA's where showing up at the end of the MKxn00 list.
VMS SAN mechanic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,
there is no 'identifier' setup for OpenVMS' unit numbers on the NSRs like on the storage arrays. The assignment is driven through a table in the file SYS$SYSTEM:SYS$DEVICES.DAT - I hope I recalled the name correctly. It is set up the first time you run an 'IO FIND_WWID' in SYSMAN. You should be able to edit that file to assign new unit numbers and reboot (Hey, a reboot is fast and doesn't hurt ;-)

This is also handy when you swap a tape drive, because it will have a different serial number.